Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karen a Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2007, 05:51 AM
    Toilet tank refills only when faucet on
    Toilet flushes fine. Tank does not refill, unless you turn on the sink faucet (located right next to toilet) for just a moment. Then it refills like normal. This happens more often than not.
    Any thoughts? Thank you :)
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I don't know if this is the answer but I would check for a shutoff valve on stool...

Children like to turn things, maybe one of them decided to fix the stool

You should be able to open and close it, make sure it is open

Turning counter-clock wise should open it, if this isn't the problem

The fill valve in the toilet may need fixed or replaced

FREE PIZZA :) How to Bake The Perfect Pizza | eHow.com
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2007, 07:58 AM
    What type of ballcock to you have, Float ball on a rod or can on a wire?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I can see where Tom is going. I think your ballcock is hanging up and the pressure change when you open the faucet is enough to unhang it.

Aug 28, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Thank you for your responses/suggestions
    Sorry if I don't use the correst terminology, but I do NOT have the floating ball type. There is just a verticle tube (Fluidmaster 400A) with a larger black piece towards the top of the column and a gray ~3/4" wide ring toward the bottom and of course, the tube that gets the water sprayed into it.
    I believe the water is turned on, because sometimes it works like it is supposed to.
    Looking forward to your suggestions.
    Thanks again
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2007, 09:57 AM
    You, indeed, have a can on a wire FluidMaster ballcock. Shut the water off under the tank and press down on the top of the ballcock and twist counterclockwise. The top should the4n pull up and reveal a neoprene washer with a small hole in the middle. This is the seal. Pry it out and replace with a Fluidmaster #242 replacement seal. Now hold a wash cloth over the open top and turn the water back on for a few seconds. This will flush out the supply and ballcock body.l Reinstall everything, turn the water on and give it a flush. Work better now? Regards, Tom

Aug 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I bought the whole assembly because I didn't know how old it was. My son installed it under my husband's guidance. Seems to work . Thank you !
    On Saturday, we will replace the washer in the shut off valve if that is still dripping :(
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Aug 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
    No no no!

You've got it all wrong!

This is a safety-interlock device to ensure that you (at least pretend to) wash your hands!

:) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjustable Toilet Tank [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a toilet with a tank on the back that is adjustable. I installed paneling to the wall behind a toilet and now the toilet doesn't fit due to the little bit of paneling on the wall. I can cut out an area of paneling behind the toilet for the tank. Instead of ruining the wall...

Old toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old wall hung toilet tank that has cracked and is not repairable. Where can I find a replacement?

Toilet tank [ 8 Answers ]

I replaced old toilet and tank with new one. While I was tightening tank bolts I heard crack noise one time so I stopped then I heard crack noise one more time again after I stopped. I checked under tank, under toilet and on floor for couple days but I don’t see any crack or leak. What else I can...

Water pipes vibrating and making a noise when the toilet system refills [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet refills you can hear the pipes vibrate and make a noise. I've turned our stop cock to off and then turned it back on slightly and this rectifies the problem but the water then just trickles out. I think it's an air block but I don't know how to check the toilet. All the tapes are...

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

View more questions Search