Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adaco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 07:19 PM
    HowTo build a Dail up ISP
    I'm trying to build a dail up internet service company and I was hoping to start small with little overhead. The problem is I need a dail-in voice / data PRI ( pbx ) so potential clients can call via their modems and access my server; where can I go to acquire this service at a low cost
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adaco
    I'm trying to build a dail up internet service company and I was hoping to start small with little overhead. The problem is I need a dail-in voice / data PRI ( pbx ) so potential clients can call via their modems and access my server; where can I go to acquire this service at a low cost
    You probably need something like this:

Ras, Remote Access Server, Vpn Appliance, Terminal Servers, Ras Server

The phone company provides the lines and you tell them to seek the next unbusy line. I might be wrong, but I think I remember that in order to support 56K, the modems at the receiving end must be ISDN.

Your access to the internet can be T1, T2, T3 etc, Sonet etc.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 27, 2007, 08:36 PM
    It's also worth noting that a T1 line is actually 24 Channels which can be divided into separate lines. I don't know the technical details, but I *believe* that, depending on the area, and what type of T1 frameing you get on the line, you may have either 23 or 24 available channels. Some use one channel as the control for all the others (I think it's called a D Channel, or Delta Channel, or something... ), or uses all 24 channels and has the control built in to the signalling. In either case, yes, you would need a remote access server. I've never looked into it with Linux, but I know windows server 2003 will support dial in clients.

You'd want to make sure you have enough IP addresses for your clients, too. You would have to talk to your ISP about getting those routed to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dail-up modem [ 5 Answers ]

The phone company told my friend his modem took out his phone line.I was not aware this could happen. If this could happen, how would the phone company know? Thanks in advance Fred:(

ISP Wireless Tower Lease, they went bankrupt, new ISP trying to push me around [ 3 Answers ]

I allowed an Wireless ISP provider to erect an 100ft tower on my land for the use of Internet Distribution. The Lease was to be for 5 yrs with a 5 yr option. My end was to receive 75.00 a month and an up to a 1.5mb connection. The ISP paid maybe a total of 10 payments to me then later filed...

Howto setup wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 laptop and 2 desktop, I want to connect them in wireless network. Can anybody sent me a manual for reference? Thanks to all, Zent

Resale dail-up [ 4 Answers ]

AOL has increased the price of dail-up by two dollars. For many years telcoms have had dail-up resell programs from 4-8 dollars per dail-up user.Does anyone think this is a good program and what is the best way to market this product? Thanks in advance Fred:confused:

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

View more questions Search