Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2004, 04:46 PM
    Advice needed about registry cleaning
    Dear experts,
    I recently used my HP Pavilion recover disk that came with my computer. It is 5 years old. I thought this was doing a reformat but evidently not. It restored my computer to the way it was the day I got it. What I need to know is should I use a registry cleaner such as jv16 or ashampoo before I install my programs and saved files back on here or should I install everything first and then use one? The reason I'm asking this is because I did install jv16 and had a look around. I did the clean reg scan and it tells me I have over 400 entries that are useless. Since I haven't put anything back on my computer except the system files from the HP cd I was wondering if this is why I'm getting the message that I have all these useless files. I don't want to delete them if it means I won't be able to reinstall my software and saved items. So should I reinstall the things I want first and then do the jv16 scan or do the scan first, clean out the useless items in green and then reinstall the things I want? Sorry but this is very confusing.

Kat.
    argeldeggy Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2004, 06:04 PM
    Re: advice needed about registry cleaning
    Be sure you install all windows updates. Here's the site below
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Major stuff to install is the crucial updates. The other updates you make the decision if you want it or not.

Also download Eplorer 6 service pack

After you are done install all programs that you have at home

I would recommend that you install ( spybot s&d, adware, and bazooka scanner. Once you are finish with all of this, now its time to run each program, one at a time. When you are finished running all these programs, I would also recommend that you do  diskcleanup, scandisk, and defrag. In this same order.

Sep 28, 2004, 07:25 PM
    Thank you once again for your advice. I've already gotten all my critical updates and had to get IE6 before I could get reconnected with my ISP. I have both adaware and spybot but haven't reinstalled them yet. I've never heard of bazooka. Thanks very much for the help.

Kat.
    argeldeggy Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 12:07 AM
    Re: advice needed about registry cleaning
    Just to let you know bazooka scanner does not removal anything for you. However it shows you how to remove the spyware, adware, and viruses manually. This is a great tool to learn your registry.

Thanks and have a great night

Sep 29, 2004, 12:55 AM
    Thank you very much for the info. Have a wonderful day.
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a Cleaning Service. Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking about starting a cleaning service in my area, where I would specialize in cleaning rentals and brand new houses. I am currently out in my area talking to people to see if they think it would be a service they would use. So I really am just in the beginning stages. I'm wondering...

More advice needed :S [ 4 Answers ]

Hi again. I hate to nag on about this but if anyone has more advice it would be great. I am still finding either some brown discharge or sometimes a bit of blood everyday from about 3 weeks ago whenever I go to the toilet, although not a lot. But the thing is its really bugging me now because its...

Social etiquette advice needed please [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all. This is very much a grey area and I really don't know the correct etiquette for this situation. Last night was my husbands work Christmas party. It was an informal BBQ at his boss's home. It was pre-arranged last week that the wives would each bring 2 salads and 1 dessert. The boss...

Love v. Like Advice Needed [ 4 Answers ]

I need some advice. I have been dating this guy, and find that I am more easily in love, than I am in "like" with him. I shared my feelings last night, and the response was not good. I sent this to him so that he could better understand what I meant when I said I didn't like him: The word...

Advice needed with taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Right this is a fairly complicated matter but here goes. Firstly I am a British/Australian citizen (I have lived in Australia for the last 10 years). I am currently in nyc on a B1 visa until the end of July, I will be coming back sometime in August on a E1 visa and staying for a longer period....

View more questions Search