Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:24 PM
    No, you don't need #4, you can use #6 THHN for a 60 amp breaker and feeder.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Can I run a cable through the sub panel to get to the main panel? It isn't long enough to go around. That circuit would work better in the main panel.
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Yes, just remove the cable sheathing so you only pass the insulated wires pass through.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Well today is the day. I shut the power off this morning and have spent most of the day disconnecting stuff and rerouting cables. I hope to have things far along to have the power back on by dark.

The neutral bar and the equipment ground are all one piece. You would need a hacksaw to separate them. There is definitely 2 different rows of screws, but the one row had both neutrals and grounds. Should I clean that up? Although the box has 20 slots, each row only has 12 screws. Some of them are larger and the fine print specifies how many of what size wires you can use with them.
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
    The older panels never did allow for neutrals and grounds. If I remember this panel has the main in it. OK for the neutch and gnds together, if more ports are needed, get an equipment ground bar, and separate if desired. Definitely more work, but good therapy for those anal, like me.

A well made panel with 42 circuits and all separate neutrals and grounds is something to see.

Best to connect both with a wire jumper.

5:14 and still at it? How is it going?
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Well it is dark now, and I have quit for the night. There is still enough stuff connected in the main panel to get by for the night. Trying to untangle a bunch of old #10 is slow going.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using one row for grounds and one row for neutrals. The upper row is all grounds now, and the lower one only has one bundle of grounds in it. Moving it to the upper one will free a large hole for the #6 to feed the sub panel.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 02:00 AM
    I knew I could talk you into it.
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 04:09 AM
    Well are you done yet?

No pressure...

What is the chance of seeing some pictures?
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
    The end is in sight. Would it be OK to terminate the neutral of one circuit that passes through the main panel there and the hot in the sub panel? The 2 panels are only separated by a 1 1/2'' offset nipple. I lack about 3'' of neutral to reach the neutral bar at the bottom of the sub panel.

I do have the best pictures my cheap little digital camera takes.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Sure, the neutral is the same, and the imbalance will be negligible.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I decided not to connect that neutral in the main panel, but to save the last neutral port there for the TVSS I plan to add. I saw I could move the other end from one 4'' box to the one above it I recently added, gaining 4'' which is more then enough. When I added the upper box, I ended up with so much wire in the lower one, I had trouble getting the cover on. Remember, I am still fighting the coil of 10-2 I was given 30 years ago. Originally I had the feed connected to line terminals of a GFCI outlet and another duplex connected to the load side over my work bench. Later I have daisy chained the those outlets to two more in the garage. To avoid unplugging one and plugging in the other every time I change the tool I am using, I recently added another 4'' box and 2 more duplex outlets.

Electricity is like dogs, the more I learn, the more I realize I didn't know. I had connected the 2 boxes with a strain relief, run NM singles and ground wire through it and tightened it up. Is that right? Should I use an all thread nipple, nuts, and bushings? Run screws through the little holes next to the knock out? If I do that, do I need some kind of a bushing in the knockouts?

Could the full moon explain some of the recent answers here? # 6 for 125 amp service, #14 in a 20 amp service, and the obsession with switch loops? I am glad I have somebody that knows more than me here to come to for help.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I had connected the 2 boxes with a strain relief, run NM singles and ground wire through it and tightened it up. Is that right? Should I use an all thread nipple, nuts, and bushings? Run screws through the little holes next to the knock out? If I do that, do I need some kind of a bushing in the knockouts?
    Sorry I am not understanding what your referring to.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Likely I confused things with too much detail. I have 2 of the 4'' x 4'' boxes mounted one above the other. How do I fasten them together, and do I need to protect the wiring where it passes through to the second?
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Ahh, OK, better put.

Yes the wires need protection from the sharp metal edges, so you can use a close nipple with two locknuts and bushing at each end, or if the boxes are directly next to each other, use a Chase nipple one locknut and bushing.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
    I don't think I will plague the electrical supply with buying one 1/2'' Chase nipple. They may only come in boxes of 50. I doubt the big box stores have heard of them. I will use the plumbing short nipple that was the best the Ace hardware could come up with. So many little details to getting things right.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
    All right, the furnace ran off the generator. This project is finally winding down. I have the covers back on both breaker boxes, and the interlock works. I set the box and spliced the NM-B to the flex cord. I shut everything down but a few lights and made the switch and fired up the generator. I then turned the furnace on, and it fired right up.

I still have a lot of details to finish up, adding locktite to the screws holding the plate now I know it works, the all important UL approved stickers, posting a new list of breakers, some drywall repair, and on and on.

The furnace is properly tied to the house wiring, hot, neutral, and equipment ground. The generator is properly tied in, 2 hots, neutral, and ground. I checked and I had 116 volts on the one leg under light load. Forgot to check the other leg. Since it worked on first try, it gives no clue to other's problems. I suspect the 116 volts might drop under a heavier load, but still be higher than many have coming in from the power company. I checked that the other night, 122 volts. Note, using a Sears 982017 Multimeter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect my generator to my house? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I have a 5K generator that I want to connect to my house through the main circuit box in my house.. A friend of mine says there is somekind of on/off box that you connect to open the power coming in then another circuit of some kind the plugs into the generator.. has anybody heard of this? I...

Connecting a generator to my house [ 2 Answers ]

How Can I connect a generator into my house electrical supply?

Generator Help [ 14 Answers ]

OK, next question. I have bought a 6000 watt generator. It has four 110 outlets and one 220 "twist style" outlet. What I want to do is wire it into my house temporarily during winter power outages. I know already it will not run my entire house. We have two sets of gas logs, so heat is not an...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

Generator for the house, Guardian? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I asked this question a long time ago, but it seems that I'm finally going to give in and buy one. I thought I could get away with just a portable generator, but after Wilma blew through South Florida, my house will not have power back until November 15th. Luckily, the weather is...

View more questions Search