Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cyberdreamer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Sewer smell under kitchen sink in evenings after hot day
    This is making me crazy. I've cleaned all PVC, replaced the p trap, cleaned the disposal, checked the vent. But the sewer smell keeps appearing for several summers now, but only in the evenings after a hot summer day. It goes away once the weather cools down. The smell is so strong and definitely sewer. Any ideas? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Septic tank or city sewer?

Aug 28, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Sorry, it is city sewer... thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
    You're going to hafta get "down n' dirty" to track this down. Sniff around. Where does it smell the strongest? Under the cabinet floor? The trap or disposal? The drains? Where the stubout comes out of the wall? Someplace has just got to smell worse then others. Let me know, Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Do you have a disposal and is it properly trapped? This is a likely source of sewer gas.

Aug 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
    First, let me thank you both for your quick response. I am so appreciative for any new suggestions. Yes, I do have a disposal and I can only assume it's properly trapped. It is connected just above the "p" trap to the same pipes from the other side of the sink. Does that sound proper?

I got "down and dirty" and the worst of the smell seems to be coming from behind the cabinet wall around the hole this is drilled for the pipes to go wherever they go from there (does that make sense?).

Is sewer gas dangerous to one's health?
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2007, 07:39 AM
    If the lateral line inside the wall has a crack or is leaking then that would give you the symptoms you describe.
    Sewer gas is harmful to your familys health and the methane content makes it explosive under the right conditions. Good luck, Tom

Aug 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Thanks again Tom... sounds like it's time for me to call in the professional - I'm not so confident or capable when it comes to cutting into walls. And now I'm a little scared about the "explosion" possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell in Bathroom Sink [ 5 Answers ]

There has been a sewer like smell in my bathroom sink and has been there since I purchased the house last May. I have two sinks but the smell seems to be coming from only one sink. Hot water and baking soda helped for a while but the smell has come back. Any suggestions for a permanent...

Sewer smell in bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

When I turn on the water in my bathroom sink it will run water for a few seconds then get a sewer smell for about 5 to 10 seconds then goes away? Any ideas.

Sewer Smell from Below Kitchen Sink When Showereing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, newbie here! I'm a total amateur when it comes to plumbing, so I thought somebody here could help me out. When we use the upstairs shower, a horrible sewer smell comes out from under the kitchen sink. The shower is located in the room directly over the kitchen. Nothing out of the ordinary...

Sewer smell in my kitchen! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with a sewer smell coming from my kitchen cupboard,at first I thought it was my drains as I had a blocked drain last year with an overflowing manhole and had the same smell but I've checked all my drains and they all seem to flowing fine and they also don't smell at all it just...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search