Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunniibunnii7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Kindergarten
    Hello my name is Sunni, I am a single stay at home mom, and I have a 5 year odl boy. Today was his 1 st day of school, we went to bed early, he woke up ate breakfast, then got dressed, then we left early and walked in together. He asked me to stay, I said I would as long as I could. We sat in the room and I helped him get organized etc, then it was time for me to go, he cried and didn't want me to leave, I said I would be back not to worry. I handed him off to Mrs. White and left with a lump in my throat, being as strong and I could for him. And fell apart in the car, got a grip with myself and went back in to make sure he wasn't crying... he didn't see me I peeked in and he was sitting on the floor with the other kids, while Mrs. White was reading. I know it will be a tuff adjustment for us both.. once he feels secure I know he will be fine.. MY QUESTION IS... WHAT IF HE Doesn't WANT TO GO BACK? What if he is mad at me for leaving him? I will do my part in trying to convince him how important and fun kinder will be, but what IF? Do I home school for kinder and try 1 st grade next year or what? Thanks so much Sunni:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Worry about that AFTER you pick him up. Maybe he had fun at recess and is now excited by the prospect of this new experience. What you are feeling is normal and every parent has been through it. Notice how he was fine rigth after you left? Happens all the time. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 09:13 AM
    I was a preschool and kindergarten teacher. The moms always had more trouble letting go than the kids did. (I always had a box of kleenex handy, especially on the first days of school.)

As a teacher, I kept the students busy interacting with me and with each other. A lot of these first two years are all about developing social skills. You would do your son a great injustice to take him out and homeschool him.

Dry your tears. He will be fine. (And I know how hard it is. I went through it myself with two sons. Having been a teacher didn't help that first day when I had to say goodbye to my own kids.)

Don't resent it if he is actually happy to go to school. Yes, he still loves you and misses you, and guess what -- you have apparently done a good job mothering him so he is comfortable and secure in your love to be away from you for a while. The worst thing you can do is return to check on him and have tears in your eyes.

My younger son used to warn me not to have any fun while he was in school. I was "allowed" to go to the grocery store by myself (i.e. without him) but I was not to enjoy it. If I did go shopping, I let him know later how awful it was doing it alone. He still helped me write up my grocery list and accompanied me on weekends.

Suggestion: If he has any problem staying at school on Day Two, give him a "transitional object" -- something of yours like a bracelet that he can keep in a pocket and touch once in a while as a reminder that you will be back to pick him up. One mom I remember tucked a "smile" into her daughter's pocket every morning.
    sunniibunnii7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Thanks so much.. I agree... were finding our way... it will all work out just fine... thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preschool/kindergarden requirements? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering what are the typical academic requirements for children entering preschool, and kindergarten? For example, reading small words, writing there name, counting so high, adding/subtracting? etc.. Thanks so much! :)

View more questions Search