Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daveb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 06:02 AM
    kitchen sink plumbing/vent problem
    good morning to all!
    I have a question that I hope someone can answer.I have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.I'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes into the wall and up through the roof is right where the dishwasher needs to go.at this point the walls and ceilings have just been done so relocating the vent in the wall isn't really an option.the contractor that I had here doing some of the work suggested capping off the vent,cutting it off at the wall and installing what he said they used to call a boka or booka? Vent that goes under the sink.he said it had a check ball in it? I'm lost!! Wouldn't venting it under the sink give me sewer fumes/gasses? The existing vent is right next to the wall studs next to the window over the sink (its all open right now-no sheetrock) and the only thing I can think of to do is cut the pipe and I'd have to put an elbow on it to move the entry point in the wall over 8" but that would require going through one of the wall studs and they're only 2x4's.any help would be greatly appreciated!
    thank you,
    dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb
    good morning to all!
    i have a question that i hope someone can answer.i have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.i'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes into the wall and up through the roof is right where the dishwasher needs to go.at this point the walls and ceilings have just been done so relocating the vent in the wall isnt really an option.the contractor that i had here doing some of the work suggested capping off the vent,cutting it off at the wall and installing what he said they used to call a boka or booka?? vent that goes under the sink.he said it had a check ball in it? i'm lost!!! wouldnt venting it under the sink give me sewer fumes/gasses?? the existing vent is right next to the wall studs next to the window over the sink (its all open right now-no sheetrock) and the only thing i can think of to do is cut the pipe and i'd have to put an elbow on it to move the entry point in the wall over 8" but that would require going through one of the wall studs and they're only 2x4's.any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    thank you,
    dave
    And a good morning to you too Dave,

You plumber wants to install a AAV, (Air Admittance Valve) witch is a spring loaded mechanical vent . Click on: http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm to see. It would be better to offset the vent and use the roof vent even itf it meant taking it through a 2 X 4.
    However a AAV will not allow sewer gas to escape in your house as it only lets air come in and not go out. The only problem I have with AAV's is if they fail it will for sure allow sewer gas in your home.
    Having said that, and if there's no other way, a AAV's acceptable to replace a outside vent. Good luck, Tom
    daveb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 04:04 PM
    Thank you so much for your info! I've checked out that website and emailed them about a price.I'm going to try to use the vent pipe that's there now-i've just got to figure out how to move the entry point over without reducing the integrity of the wall studs.
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 1, 2005, 04:07 PM
    thank you so much for your info! i've checked out that website and emailed them about a price.i'm going to try to use the vent pipe thats there now-i've just got to figure out how to move the entry point over without reducing the integrity of the wall studs.
    thanks again,
    dave
    Any time Dave,
    If we can ever help we're as close to you as a click. Tom
    nettiebear30 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
    good morning to all!
    i have a question that i hope someone can answer.i have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.i'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes into the wall and up through the roof is right where the dishwasher needs to go.at this point the walls and ceilings have just been done so relocating the vent in the wall isnt really an option.the contractor that i had here doing some of the work suggested capping off the vent,cutting it off at the wall and installing what he said they used to call a boka or booka?? vent that goes under the sink.he said it had a check ball in it? i'm lost!!! wouldnt venting it under the sink give me sewer fumes/gasses?? the existing vent is right next to the wall studs next to the window over the sink (its all open right now-no sheetrock) and the only thing i can think of to do is cut the pipe and i'd have to put an elbow on it to move the entry point in the wall over 8" but that would require going through one of the wall studs and they're only 2x4's.any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    thank you,
    dave
    Yes it would put out some nasty smells... revent it if the pipe is galv. Before cutting anything look at it and see if what kind of pipe it is. If it is galvanized pipe look to see if you can cut the pipe and relocate the vent. As long as it vents out the roof you are doing good. If you have room under the sink to relocate the line to the old one then you will be doing good. See if you can cut it one the side where the dishwasher is at and right above the dishwasher reconnect it. If that will not work you are going to have to take that part of the wall out and have it redone. That is the only way that I can see for you to revent the stack because you HAVE TO HAVE THAT STACK/ VENT.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Oct 22, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Go with Tom's (speedball) plan he knows what he is doing.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nettiebear30
    Yes it would put out some nasty smells..... revent it if the pipe is galv. before cutting anything look at it and see if what kind of pipe it is. If it is galvanized pipe look to see if you can cut the pipe and relocate the vent. As long as it vents out the roof you are doing good. If you have room under the sink to relocate the line to the old one then you will be doing good. See if you can cut it one the side where the dishwasher is at and right above the dishwasher reconnect it. If that will not work you are going to have to take that part of the wall out and have it redone. That is the only way that I can see for you to revent the stack because you HAVE TO HAVE THAT STACK/ VENT.
    Bear,
    Did you miss the part where he says he has a modular home. You won't find galvanized pipes in a modular home, only plastic. Dave has already decided on a AAV so your advice about reventing, while good, is a little late. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor from vent next to kitchen sink faucet [ 8 Answers ]

We have some sort of vent thing on our kitchen sink that has some awful smells coming out of it. The dishwasher drain attaches to it just below the sink at a T. On the other part of the T there is a black rubber hose running back down to the PVC pipe below the disposal and above the trap. Sometimes...

Kitchen Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a new roof put on my house and during the installation, they broke a vent pipe and then put roofing shingles over it. I didn't know what this vent was until I was told by a friend that is was the kitchen sink vent. What are the consequences of this vent pipe now "roofed" over and...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

View more questions Search