Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motherof3 Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Aug 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
    No child support order in 14 years
    I have been trying to get child support since my daughter was born 14 years ago, I have gone to court called the child support enforcment and they keep telling me it takes time, well her father was in the navy for 9 or 10 years and still they could not find him, they have his social security number. He has always told me when you know someone in the system you never have to pay, I don't know what my next step should be, any suggestions. Thank you in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2007, 07:59 AM
    You need to go up the ladder. Its inconceivable to me that the Navy would allow a sailor to dodge legal child support. I don't know what's been going on with your courts, and what does your lawyer say? But there is no way this should have dragged on.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 08:01 AM
    It is absolutely ridiculous that it has taken 14 years!! I can't believe you haven't done anything more since then. I would definitely be marching my butt down to the CSEA and sitting there until they give you some answers.
    CorrieNB Posts: 78, Reputation: 8

Aug 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Has he ever been ordered to pay?:confused:

Aug 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
    I have to wonder if something else isn't going on here. If the court knows the person is in the Navy and they know theit SSN, then a simple court order sent to the Penatagon will get his location and garnish his wages. I can't conceive, even if he knew someone in Naval HR, how he could avoid this. So something else is going on here.

Aug 27, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieNB
    Has he ever been ordered to pay?:confused:

No, that's the problem I can not get an order

Aug 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
    That's weird what state do you live in. Do you have any kind of legal papers establishing custody? In the papers do you have sole custody, or joint conservitor ship? If you have tried all the courts I don't know what else to tell you have you tried contacting your local news station and telling them your story, They may do a segment on it and the extra attention may make the courts open there eyes. Most judges don't like it when things go public

Aug 27, 2007, 10:10 AM
    And we go back to why haven't you been able to get an order? What have you done? What does your attorney say? What does social services say? What did the Navy say?

Aug 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieNB
    Thats weird what state do you live in. Do you have any kind of legal papers establishing custody? In the papers do you have sole custody, or joint conservitor ship? If you have tried all the courts I dont know what else to tell you have you tried contacting your local news station and telling them your story, They may do a segment on it and the extra attention may make the courts open there eyes. Most judges dont like it when things go public

I live in Massachusetts and he lives in New York now but he was livivng in Georgia and then Virginia when he was in the navy, There has never been a custody issue, he left when I was about 2 months pregnant. I know his Ex wife was home one day and was delivered some papers from a sheriff (she called him all upset). That was the most that ever happened. I haven't really done too much on my part besides the few times I have called. I am now trying again and it's been about 6 months

Aug 27, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Ok, so someone served his ex wife some papers 14 years ago and when nothing happened, you dropped it. Then you recently picked it up about 6 months ago? So you haven't been trying for the past 14 years?

The time to act was when he was with the Navy. His service pay could have easily been garnished. Now it will be harder to find him and his job. But you or your attorney have to keep after things. There should have been no issue to get the court order. Finding a way to collect might be harder.

Aug 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Ok, so someone served his ex wife some papers 14 years ago and when nothing happened, you dropped it. then you recently picked it up about 6 months ago? So you haven't been trying for the past 14 years?

The time to act was when he was with the Navy. His service pay could have easily been garnished. now it will be harder to find him and his job. But you or your attorney have to keep after things. There should have been no issue to get the court order. Finding a way to collect might be harder.

They served his ex wife about 6 years ago, and yes I have done nothing until about 6 months, they keep telling me they are waiting for a court date.

Aug 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
    One more thing there is an organization by the name of support kids they will collect any back child support for you. Bad news they keep 44% of any money collected. Hope all turns out well!!

Aug 27, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Thank you to all, I will be calling every day until I get an answer

Oct 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by motherof3
    I have been trying to get child support since my daughter was born 14 years ago, I have gone to court called the child support enforcment and they keep telling me it takes time, well her father was in the navy for 9 or 10 years and still they could not find him, they have his social security number. He has always told me when you know someone in the system you never have to pay, I don't know what my next step should be, any suggestions. Thank you in advance.
    I just want to give an update, I have called many many times and I keep getting I am just waiting on a court date. Well the last call I made the woman realized how long it has been and gave me a number she said she really wasn't allowed to give out (the regional office) Why I don't know but I think I am getting somewhere now. They asked for a recent address and I gave it to them, she said they had an old address from about 6 years ago (I already updated his address with the first people I spoke to) Now they are sending out a postal verification so he can be served. But it goes to show something is wrong in the system if all there info is not linked together

Oct 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Glad to hear things are working out good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contempt order about child support [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to get as much advise as possible because I don't know what to do. I had a contemp order against my ex-husband, because he wasn't paying his court ordered child support. The ruling on this was that we would drop the contempt order if he would pay every month, on time and in the full...

Mothers contempt of child support order [ 8 Answers ]

My ex wife did not show up at the drop off spot last weekend and it was my weekend to have my son. It is court order that I get him the 1st, 3rd and 4th weekend of every month. What do I do? Can I file something against her for contempt at the court house? How can I make her pay?:mad:

Trying to get child support order [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to get an order for child support since December 2006. I live in a different state then the father. Although I am receiving Public assistance and they say they are working on it, nothing at all has happened. I know the location of the father , but for some reason it is...

Child support 12 years later [ 2 Answers ]

How can support be order after 12 years of dening I am the father? Another man took that responsibility after I was told I was not the father. The bad thing about it is this woman may have been on the system, will I have to pay all that too? I am requesting a paternity test ASAP!

Changing Child Support Order [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for anyone who knows how to go about getting an Order of Support changed / modified. I am in the state of Arizona and have been divorced for 7 years. I have sole custody and he has NEVER reported any increase in pay. I would like to know how to find out what he is making (because he...

View more questions Search