Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiadesai Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2005, 01:35 PM
    Bird Flu
    What is avian influenza (bird flu)?

Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These flu viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, bird flu is very contagious among birds and can make some domesticated birds, including chickens, ducks, and turkeys, very sick and kill them.
    Do bird flu viruses infect humans?

Bird flu viruses do not usually infect humans, but several cases of human infection with bird flu viruses have occurred since 1997.
    How are bird flu viruses different from human flu viruses? Updated March 18

There are many different subtypes of type A flu viruses. These subtypes differ because of certain proteins on the surface of the flu A virus (hemagglutinin [HA] and neuraminidase [NA] proteins). There are 16 different HA subtypes and 9 different NA subtypes of flu A viruses. Many different combinations of HA and NA proteins are possible. Each combination is a different subtype. All subtypes of flu A viruses can be found in birds. However, when we talk about “bird flu” viruses, we are referring to those flu A subtypes that continue to occur mainly in birds. They do not usually infect humans, even though we know they can do so. When we talk about “human flu viruses” we are referring to those subtypes that occur widely in humans. There are only three known subtypes of human flu viruses (H1N1, H1N2, and H3N2); it is likely that some genetic parts of current human flu A viruses came from birds originally. Flu A viruses are constantly changing, and they might adapt over time to infect and spread among humans.

For more information on this topic you can click on Bird Flu Relenza
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Bird Flu
    Hi,
    For some good research on the difference between Human Flu and Bird Flu, try using Google.
    I guess that was your question.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bird question [ 13 Answers ]

OK hey you I have a bird, a gold-capped conure and lately he's been acting weird like he up-chucks a lot I mean I know birds do that to like other birds and to feed and stuff but I've had my bird for 5-6 years and he's never done it this much for the past week every morning and night even during...

Bird [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 birds (budgies) and they have been really healthy. However, over the past few weeks my female bird has been wheezing and sneezing quite a bit. It's almost like she is having a tough time breathing. Oddly enough, she is still eating normally, hasn't lost weight and still has quite a bit...

Bird flu [ 6 Answers ]

Hi again everyone, I live in England, and I am really worried about bird flu. In England there is just one confirmed case, but what I don't understand is how serious this is. Could this disease spread to humans. Tonight they were saying in the news if the disease spread to humans then they...

Tweety Bird [ 6 Answers ]

I feel sort of weird asking this but my friends and I are debating if Tweety Bird is a boy or a girl... does anyone know? Lol. Thanks... :D

Bird flu [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There was a program about bird flu few days back that made me really scared, and I searched the inter net about it and I got scared even more , now Im thinking about it all the time , it even started to affect my sleep , it like that thinking about it and screded from it is over whelming, is...

View more questions Search