Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 10:49 AM
    10 Scary Predictions on Climate Crisis that Came True
    Here are 10 scary predictions that actually did come true. (When the original predictor is known, it is included.)
    1. The Earth will warm as more carbon dioxide is put into the atmosphere.
    (Svante Arrhenius, a Swedish chemist and one of the founders of the science of physical chemistry, in 1893)
    2. We will begin to see noticeable changes in the Earth's climate by around 2000.
    (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change scientists).
    3. The sea level will start rising.
    4. The Earth's ice will start melting rapidly.
    (James Hanson, director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies)
    5. Hurricanes will increase in intensity.
    (Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist, explorer, geographer, anthropologist and biologist, in 1900)
    6. Species will begin going extinct as a result of climate change.
    7. Australia will start drying out.
    (Scientists from the Hadley Centre for Climate Change)
    8. Tropical diseases will increase.
    9. Food crops will be adversely affected.
    10. Carbon dioxide will begin to acidify the ocean.
    (Source: London's Times Online)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

We see these ten scary predictions about the climate crisis that have come true.

What are the positions of various American Presidential candidates concerning this issue?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Here are 10 scary predictions that actually did come true. (When the original predictor is known, it is included.)
    (Svante Arrhenius, a Swedish chemist and one of the founders of the science of physical chemistry, in 1893)
    2. We will begin to see noticeable changes in the Earth's climate by around 2000.
    (Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist, explorer, geographer, anthropologist and biologist, in 1900)

We see these ten scary predictions about the climate crisis that have come true.

What are the positions of various American Presidential candidates concerning this issue?
    If you’re really frightened start a movement to ban carbonated soft drinks and soda water; given Carbon dioxide is used to produce these items.

Next on the list might be fire extinguishers; given that carbon dioxide extinguishes flames, and some fire extinguishers, especially those designed for electrical fires, contain liquid carbon dioxide under pressure.

I think the candidates are all squarely behind evolution and rely on Science for information rather than the “Times,” or such vague prediction that use words like, “increase,” “adversely affected,” “rapidly,” and “start rising”.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Bold prediction :

30,000 years ago, a huge ice cap extended from the North Pole down to London and New York. It has been melting ever since and will continue to do so for another 20,000 years, when Earth will start cooling down for 50,000 years to the next Ice Age.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Yes, it is time for India and China to do something about their particulate emissions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I think the candidates are all squarely behind evolution and rely on Science
    Hello DC:

You must be talking about the candidates on the LEFT. For sure, those right wingers believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. Science to them is a religion.

excon
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Plenty of lefty devout believers in what can't be proven.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 27, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux

First of all, regarding these predictions:

What makes you think that they have come true? And even if they have, what makes you think that human activity has anything to do with it?

I've gone through the recorded temperatures for major cities throughout the planet for the past 60 years. I have not found any pattern of increasing or decreasing temperatures over that period. So how do we know that temperatures are actually increasing or decreasing?

These same predictors of hurricaines increasing in intensity are the same ones who said that the 2006 hurricane season would be the worst on record... only to find out that only two hurricanes hit land, and neither caused any serious damage, making it one of the mildest hurricane seasons in history.

In short, there's nothing to say that ANY of these predictions have actually come true. Nor has there been anything that proves that human activity has anything to do with climate change. In fact, all of the examples of the worst "climate disasters" are taking place in parts of the world with the least industrialization and human activity to account for those "disasters".

So, now that we have properly questioned the entire basis of your post, let's get to the answer for your question: what are the positions of the various candidates?

Here are some links:

Hillary

Obama

Mitt

McCain

Rudy - I can't find a specific statement on his websie except for a statement that he would promote energy independence. I don't know his position on global warming.

Fred Thompson - Again, I can't find a specific statement from him on this subject.

John Edwards

That should cover most of the major candidates.

Hope this helps.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Rudy on climate change :

believes in global warming, praising Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for being a "progressive'' leader on the environment ....

"I do believe there's global warming, yes,'' said Giuliani, in response to reporters' questions following his talk to the Churchill Club. "The big question has always been how much of it is happening because of natural climate changes and how much of it is happening because of human intervention.''

But "the overwhelming number of scientists now believe that there is significant human cause,'' he said, adding the debate on the existence of global warming "is almost unnecessary ... because we should be dealing with pollution anyway.''

He also delivered a sharp jab at former Vice President Al Gore, saying his Academy Award-nominated documentary about global warming, "An Inconvenient Truth,'' serves to "frighten people... but it doesn't really recommend solutions,'' such as nuclear power

'100%' in president race, Giuliani tells tech group / Ex-N.Y. mayor lauds Schwarzenegger in Silicon Valley talk

Fred Thompson is a "denier " (lol)

Fred Thompson on Global Warming on National Review Online
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello DC:

You must be talking about the candidates on the LEFT. For sure, those right wingers believe the earth is only 6,000 years old. Science to them is a religion.

excon
    I don’t know exon, seems to me most politicians aren’t Bible literalist. In fact, I believe for most, God is a Political device; like September 11th has come to be used.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Hey got any scary true stories [ 2 Answers ]

Yea that should explain enough

Climate change 'crisis' clearing up [ 25 Answers ]

With a hat tip to Walter Williams for the heads up, from Senator James Inhofe's blog... As Williams points out this is nothing new - but it is getting clearer that behind this whole climate change 'crisis' is an agenda to be furthered at all cost, much like the left's obsession with...

Fortune tellers predictions. [ 6 Answers ]

A fortune teller once said to me, that I will travel a lot, and will get married and have two boys. Well the only truth is that I married, the other two haven't happened. Another fortune teller told me that I :) would also have 2 boys. Does anybody believe in fortune tellers? Or did anybody get a...

View more questions Search