Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    regis47 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 06:07 PM
    OTR Truck Driving
    I want to know if someone has any knowledge where a felon can get into OTR Trucking? I have a felony that is six years old and before it's said I can't get a HazMat... I received mine 6/26/2007, I did not commit an offense that was violent,drug related, espionage, or anything the TSA says puts me in the category to NOT get a HazMat. If I have to go into Canada I will get a Ministers Permit to do so but not all Trucks go into Canada.
    I hear there are companies that will give felons a chance to be good emplyees but no one seems to know the name of even one.
    Can anyone help me out with a name of such a company?

Thank You

God bless you for your help.
    He has sustained me all this time and I am sure the right person will repond to my quaestion.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
    What is a ministers permit?

Aug 25, 2007, 09:57 PM
    A Ministers Permit is a permit given by the Canandsian government that allows Felons to enter Canada. The government department heads are termed Ministrers of a department. It is against Canadian law for a felon to ebter Canada without special permission.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2007, 10:31 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't know the name of a particular company. But, I do know someone who was hired as an OTR truck driver that has a felony on his record. It is possible to get a job. You just have to keep trying and be very upfront during an interview with the person with whom you interview.

I would also suggest minimizing what the felony was and not making that much of a big deal about it. Six years ago, ready to move on with your life, learned by having made the mistake that you made, etc. Think positively, not negatively. Have your references all written down and ready to give to a potential employer.

Also, when filling out applications, I have never known where you could not submit additional information attached to an application, besides that which is on the application in order to explain your situation better. You know what I mean? There is almost always the question on applications about "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" Or, something along those lines.

You will get hired eventually if you persevere.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 05:29 AM
    I wish I could remember the name of the one website that you could go to and they will take your criteria and submit it then the companies will contact you. I will try to research it sometime. But one question, why are you so hung up on wanting to be an otr driver?

Aug 26, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Want to be a Truck Driver because the job is always going to be there and in demand. I have lived in the Kansas City Metro Area for 47 years and want to see other places and talk to other people. I have three years of Straight Truck experience and have met a lot of drivers (OTR) who enjoy their work, etc. etc. etc...
    jdbax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Hi,

I am wondering if you ever found the OTR job you were looking for. I am in the same boat as you, only my felony was 22 years ago... and I am still paying for it. If you had any success I would appreciate any info you might provide. Thanks

Jun 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
    This is Regis47 to JB. I have not found anyone that will hire and train me yet. If you already have a CDL there are many small operations that will hire you unless you have a real violent felony or one involving terrorism. I have 6.5 years since my conviction and I have been told by more than one recruiter that once I get 7 years with keeping my nose clean that they can hire and train me. I will keep you in my prayers JB... Never give up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Truck driving [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to get into truck driving but I have a Felony on my record. Can someone tell me if there is a school that will Take me in or a company that will take a chance on Me HELP!! :( :( :(

Truck Driving job [ 3 Answers ]

I am a felon are there any Companies that will train me and put me to work driving a truck?

Truck Driving Job [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a Dui over five years ago. When I was young I got into some trouble with drugs in high school and have to prior underage drinking charge which are over 10 years old. Is it going to be possible for me to become a truck driver ever? Will anyone hire me with my background?

View more questions Search