Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephysat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Private contractor for sewer line
    The masonry and underground plumbing line is in on our house but we are NOT hooked up to local SEWER , the closest line is 300 ft away the local JEA gave me a price of 66K to start. Can anyone give me a starting point to contract this out on our own.
    Basically no obstructions and the slope looks to be perfect
    Job in the village of mayport Florida , everyother street has sewer, not ours
    Thank you
    Stephanie dedmon
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Running a sewer line is simple.; The first thing you must do is to determine the elevation of the street raiser in relation to the elevation at the house cleanout.
    At 300 feet at 1/4" slope to the foot you would have 6' 3" of fall. At 1/8th" to the foot you would have 3' 1 1/2" of fall before connecting to the city raiser. What works best for you? Let me know and we'll get into the installation. Regards, Tom

Aug 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Thank you! I am looking for someone or who I have to contact to do the work for us and help with all the requirements the city has. Can you give me a place to start, what type of professional, or even better if you know someone in my area (jacksonville florida)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Jax is a little out of my area. I'm sorry, I thought you were asking how to do this yourself. A 300 foot sewer line is a major undertaking involving a backhoe and experienced -plumbers. Contact three plumbing or sewer contractors and get estimates on the completed work. Pick the one you're most comfortable with. In my area we run our sewer lines with Schedule 40 PVC. Good luck, Tom

Aug 25, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Thanks again for you help. I was under the impresion from speaking to someone and my local utlility co. its going to be almost hell and super expensive even before the plumber starts the work. I think I need and engineers report. I think I will call some local plumbers like you suggested and hopefully they can steer me the right way.
    Thank you for all your help
    Have a great day
    Stephanie
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Call about 4 different contractors and get bids. Make them itemized so you know. Did you mean 6 K not 66 K?
    I think speedball can travel to Fl rent a back hole and do it for that, heck I will take off a week and help him for a split of that.

Aug 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
    A mrs. Brown at JEA told me "at yesterday's prices it would $66,000 up front just to start the process. And approx 1 yr out!
    Another land owner on the same street can confirm the number.
    To confirm the closest sewer connection to my home is a manhole 300 ft from the center of my home.
    I understand the digging and placing lines maybe the most straight forward part of the project.
    I am trying to figure out what kind of permiting and other various paperwork is ahead, or is it so simple as to dig and run line.
    Would you suggest contacting an underground utility engineer , and where would I find one.
    Mrs. Brown (JEA) gave me a tel # , it was a fax #, I will fax something to the number if in the end I hit a brick wall
    Any suggestions guys.
    I can't possibly be the first person to have a home on the block without sewer trying to tie into a line a few hundred feet away, is a big deal or what?
    Thank you for any help
    Stephanie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Line Replacement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I need to have my sewer line from the house to the alley replaced due to tree roots. I was wondering if I can do this myself and what materials I would need? Can I use PVC and it is resistant to tree roots? Thanks! Nicki

Sewer Line plugged at city line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi~I own an old home and all of a sudden we have plugged sewer drainage! First, the toilet REALLY overflowed and after plunging the toilet, it backflowed into the shower, ugh, nasty! I took the toilet off, snaked (50 feet) into the lines, nothing there, did the same with the shower. Still...

What causes a sewer line to break [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I are very close to buying a home that has a sewer line problem. The sellers have agreed to have it repaired at their expense (although the way I read a city ordinance, they NEED to repair it before selling). Anyway, it's stated in the disclosures that the sewer line had been repaired...

Sewer line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We moved here March 2003. 2 yrs ago we had our water main line replaced. It is a metal cap in front of the house to the left. I can't seem to find my sewer cap. Would that be a PVC white round thing somewhere out in front? There are bushes out there. How far apart from each...

View more questions Search