Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girlfromga Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Open vs written
    I need to know for a fact and where to find it is a credit card debt in Georgia an open end debt with a 4 year sol or is it a written debit with a 6 year sol. It's like looking for hens teeth.
    granny1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by girlfromga
    I need to know for a fact and where to find it is a credit card debt in Georgia an open end debt with a 4 year sol or is it a written debit with a 6 year sol. It's like looking for hens teeth.
    You are not the only one needing this Georgia SOL for credit cards. Credit Bureaus list them as revolving accounts, not contract.

Please, WE NEED HELP!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Hello ladies from Georgia:

Let's be clear about our terms. There is no statute of limitations on debts. If you owe it, you owe it forever unless you declare bankruptcy. Because you owe it forever, a creditor can try to collect it forever. What a creditor CAN'T do after the SOL expires, is sue you. He can do everything else the law allows to collect.

Frankly, I don't know the answer to your question. But it doesn't matter anyway, because there isn't anything you can do about it until and if you are facing a judge. HE'S the one who can do something about it. Certainly the collection agency ISN'T going to stop harassing you because you complain (rightly or not) that the SOL is up and they can't sue you.

So, I don't know if it's up or not. I don't care and neither should you. IF it's up, bring the matter up to the judge, and if it IS, the suit will be dismissed. If it isn't, you'll lose.

Write a letter to your creditors. Send it certified, return receipt requested. In it, tell them to stop contacting you in any way. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, they will. The only thing left for them to do, however, is sue you. If they can, they will. If they can't, they won't.

excon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Ladies I was accused of having a credit card, that I failed to pay for. I asked for proof of the original contract that I signed, and proof of any payments that I supposedly made in 1998. I was taken to court in 2006 for this supposed credit card. They were calling me up until a week before court date offering me a settlement. Threating to attach my house etc... I showed up in court they didn't , case was dismissed. But I was told by the court they could refile at anytime or sell it to another collection agency. I will ask for proof once again if they do because I know for a fact that I never had a credit card from the company they mentioned. As far as sol I'm not sure, call your Attonery General for your state they should be able to answer this. The one in Ohio helped me out and told me exactly what to say to the collection agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue on a credit card Is it open account or written agreement [ 2 Answers ]

I being sued over an old credit card debt. Credit cards are under open account under the statue of limitation. In my state the statue is 4 years. The collection agency is trying to sue under written agreement which is 5 years. Which they file the 9 an the statue would have been up ten days later....

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Open account vs written agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Is credit card debt a open account or is it a written agreement?

Can you see a statement that is written against you? [ 2 Answers ]

Does my son have the right to read the statement written that got him charged with a crime?Can anyone just call clerk of courts and find out info about someone's charges?

View more questions Search