Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1woodland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Side-by side Maytag frig half not cooling
    I have a Matag MZD2766GEW side-by-side in which the frig side quit cooling. The freezer is cold but seems to continue to run (I assume it is trying to cool the frig side without success). I hooked up an old PC cooling fan to blow into the return duct from the frig back to the freezer. The frig side is now cool and the freezer now cycles on and off. The defrost timer seems to work. My question - what should I replace, the condensing fan or the evaporator fan motor? I have a Johnstone close by if they might have what I need.

Thanks for the advice.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 03:36 PM
    I can never understand people wanting to repair their own refrigerators. There is so much at stake if everything goes, like the freezer with so much food in it.

I made that mistake once at the farm with so much canning done and I lot is all, it went to the chickens. Now if anything is wrong, (I am no longer on a farm) I don't take chances with my good money earned spent on good food in my freezer and my refrigerator.

No money is ever saved trying to figure out how to repair it one your own.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Before I purchased anything I would verify which componet is not working. First pull unit from the wall and clean the coils and fan motor very well. YOu may need a long handle brush to get it all clean. If it is extremely dirty, the unit will never cool properly and will run continuiously. Post back with results
    1woodland Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
    To esquire1 - Thanks for the advice. I have cleaned it and given it a day to stabilize the interior temperature and it feels cold. It was not that dirty but it musty have helped. Thanks again.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Glad it's cooling better. Doesn't take a lot of dust to affect cooling. Make this cleaning part of your routine maintenance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fairly new Maytag side-by-side MSD2657HSE not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This is a 18month old side-by-side Maytag MSG2657HSE refrigerator. The freezer half works perfectly, but the refrigerator half has stopped cooling. Also just 2 days before this happened the following was noticied by my wife - During the day time she noticed that water was seeping out from the...

Maytag side by side not cooling properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 - 2005 maytag side by side fridge freezer that has been working quite well until about three days ago. I have done some searches and found a coupe of things to do or check. I have checked and cleaned all the lint of the lower back of the unit including the cooling coils and the fan...

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

Maytag wide by side not cooling [ 3 Answers ]

Our maytag wide by side is not cooling - freezer side is working fine. Seems to be a common problem with these based on the posts. Any ideas? Have called repair center - not open until Monday.

View more questions Search