Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Aug 30, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Have You Ever Wondered?
    Hello,
    Have you ever wondered why so many lives are lost in what many call Natural disasters?

Recently a hurricane Katrina hit where I live, 6 persons were killed in my area and 50 or more in other areas nearby. If God controls the forces in the earth, then why does God allow people to be killed in these kinds of disasters?

Please give your opinions:
    Take care,
    Hope12 :o
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 09:38 AM
    It has nothing to do with a god of any kind. It's a weather phenomena.
    chrisl Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2005, 10:33 AM
    The Bible's answer
    NeedKarma comes from the atheist/impersonal God viewpoint. My opinion, however, is that the Bible's view is correct.

Mankind rejected both God's rule AND protection by the rebellion in the Garden of Eden. (Genesis 3) Since then, man has had to endure natural disasters, sickness and death. (Ecclesiastes 9:11)

The issues raised in Job 1 and 2 are also involved. In order to expose Satan's false claim that mankind would abandon God when under trial, God does not step in to prevent human suffering. All who endure faithfully thus add their testimony in the case. (Proverbs 27:11)

But suffering will not be tolerated forever. God will eventually remove all suffering and disasters from the earth permanently when his kingdom rules under his chosen king, Christ Jesus. (Psalm 37; Rev 21:3-4)

Chris

PS: Nice graphic!

(Psalms 83:18 and Isaiah 43:10)
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Chris,

So in essence that's like the arabs in Saudia Arabia driving their cars like reckless fools because if an accident happens it is "the will of Allah" (this is true BTW). Is that a good analogy?

Aug 30, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    So in essence that's like the arabs in Saudia Arabia driving their cars like reckless fools because if an accident happens it is "the will of Allah" (this is true BTW). Is that a good analogy?
    No, that's not a good analogy. That's just someone selfishly abusing freewill and then trying to avoid responsibility. A good analogy would be a father allowing an errant child to learn from his mistakes by not protecting him from the consequences of his actions.

Chris
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Aug 30, 2005, 11:13 AM
    For Chris
    Hello Chris,
    I received you note but I am new and still have not figured how to reply privately or to rate or all that good suff. Help!!
    :)

Hope12 (Judy)
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisl
    No, that's not a good analogy. That's just someone selfishly abusing freewill and then trying to avoid responsibility. A good analogy would be a father allowing an errant child to learn from his mistakes by not protecting him from the consequences of his actions.

Chris
    But in this case the father is not "smiting" his child because of a perceived bad that he did (ate a forbidden apple"), he's letting him experience the world under his watchful eye.

Aug 30, 2005, 12:16 PM
    But in this case the father is not "smiting" his child because of a perceived bad that he did (ate a forbidden apple")
    If I tell my son not to stay off the grass and he does it anyway, will he be punished for walking on grass or for disobeying my authority? Adam and Eve willfully disobeyed knowing the consequences of their actions. God is not to blame. They "smote" (?) themselves--and us.

he's letting him experience the world under his watchful eye.
    My point is that mankind as a whole has rejected God's protection and God is permitting them to "experience the world under his watchful eye." But God's watchful eye is far more powerful than any human father's. God can permit mankind to experience all the consequences of their rebellion--even death--and still undo it.

Chris
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 01:38 PM
    Adam and Eve willfully disobeyed knowing the consequences of their actions. God is not to blame. They "smote" (?) themselves--and us.
    I simply refuse to believe that I'm paying the price for two fictional characters haven eaten an apple. In the same vein that just because my father beat me (he didn't) doesn't mean that I should beat my children.

My point is that mankind as a whole has rejected God's protection and God is permitting them to "experience the world under his watchful eye." But God's watchful eye is far more powerful than any human father's. God can permit mankind to experience all the consequences of their rebellion--even death--and still undo it.
    Sounds like a mean guy since I did nothing to him.

Aug 30, 2005, 02:25 PM
    I simply refuse to believe...
    That is your prerogative with the freewill you have been given. But never forget that freewill comes with responsibility and you must accept the results of your choice. The Bible lovingly invites, encourages and yes, even warns everyone to choose wisely but no one will be forced to choose wisely. That is up to us as individuals.

Sounds like a mean guy since I did nothing to him.
    Or another way of looking at it is that God is a supremely loving person who has provided a way out from death and suffering rather than leaving us permanently condemned by Adam and Eve's disobedience. God provides for the long-term benefit of everyone, even though the vast majority currently do nothing to merit such an expression of loving-kindness. That is true unconditional love. Yet most refuse the offer.

Chris
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisl
    But never forget that freewill comes with responsibility and you must accept the results of your choice. That is up to us as individuals.

Chris
    That's basically my point. Nice talking to you Chris, you seem like a nice guy.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Have you ever wondered?
    Hurricanes, earthquakes and such are not acts of God.
    Rather they are the consequences of nature.
    God can intervene if He so chooses, but in His infinite and perfect wisdom and justice He may choose not to.
    The world suffers because of its sins, just as Jesus suffered and died as a perfect sacrifice to save us from the final suffering for our sins.
    Through Him we are born to suffer and also live, love, work, produce fruit for others and die to live again in the glory of God.
    Thus it is good to be a good devoted Christian.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie title I've wondered about for ever [ 2 Answers ]

So along time ago in the early 90's when I was a real little kid I remember this movie I was watching and I think there might have been some obscenity in it or something because my mother didn't like me watching it but I didn't get what was rude or not, so I have no idea what this movie was and id...

View more questions Search