Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Laying Tile in an open area.
    hello all,

I'm about to tile over a concrete slab in my living room,dining room and eventually the kitchen. All these areas are connected. Part of the Living room is covered in carpet and the rest has a 8x8 tile.

I was going to start in the living room where the carpet is. Once the carpet is removed along with the padding and tack strips I could start. I was going to leave the tiled area for later as I have furniture in the way.

Is there a certain way to determine where the first piece should be laid?
    Should I start in the one corner and work my way out? I'm assuming I need to determine if my starting walls are actually square (as in even). I was going to use a chalk line and lay out a grid every other tile to help keep me in line.

Does anyone see a problem with tiling part of a room first, grouting it, and then tiling and grouting the rest of the room?

I've tiled my bathroom before and have not had any issues. That was 4 years ago and no tiles have fallen off so I guess it was a good job!

Thanks for any advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 04:08 PM
    You start in the middle of the room. Measure L and W and chalk that spot. Now measure your tiles and see how many will fit in a row. You want the tiles to bepartial tiles as they hit each wall so you can shift your chalk spot a bit to get partial tiles all around. If you are new to ceramic tiling I'd recommend spacers rather than trying to maintain a chalk line on cement with adhesive.
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You start in the middle of the room. Measure L and W and chalk that spot. Now measure your tiles and see how many will fit in a row. You want the tiles to bepartial tiles as they hit each wall so you can shift your chalk spot a bit to get partial tiles all around. If you are new to ceramic tiling I'd recommend spacers rather than trying to maintain a chalk line on cement with adhesive.
    The more I look at my room and the more I read up on other site, I'm thinking of laying out a diamond pattern instead of the regular pattern now. Basically, I want to turn the tile 45 degrees.

Any tips for that guys?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

Laying tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Can you lay cerramic tiles ontop of other tiles

Laying tile in upstairs bathroom and ground floor kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

I am planning to lay 12 x 12 ceramic tile in my master bathroom on the second floor and most likely I will be laying it over the existing solid sheet, non-padded vinyl flooring which is in good condition. And I will also be laying over the same vinyl flooring in my ground floor kitchen. Can...

Ceramic tile - proper laying technique [ 2 Answers ]

I have 13x13 ceramic tiles to install in my kitchen over plywood subfloor. What is the most appropriate way to install? I've been told to use various techniques: cement mortar, thinset adhesive, cement backer board, tiles can be laid right over vinyl flooring!! ), etc. We are very handy and did...

View more questions Search