Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Inter Provincial Debt collection
    Does anyone know if a lawyer from Ontario can sue you for a debt incurred in Quebec?

I got a letter from a Quebec lawyer a few months ago claiming to represent a collection agency (but that agency never called me) in any case I asked for a debt validation and cited the law that he must reply in 10 days or the debt collection is illegal. Now a few months later I get a letter from an Ontario lawyer asking me to contact the Quebec lawyer and pay him or he will sue.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Its all Canadian law, Quebec is not separated from the rest of us, but collection issues vary according to the statute of limitations which is six years in Ontario. I don't know if it's the same in Quebec. Yes, they can sue but, very big but, collections agencies are treated with absolute disdain here and the lawyers they say represent them. They are usually one in the same. I am talking from experience. I didn't owe anything to anyone in my name, it was my husbands name. They had to exit very quickly after my lawyer contacted them. But they made my life hell for two years until I got smart and asked them to show proof, they couldn't.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Well mine is slightly different, I do owe the money but all they sent was a letter from someone calling himself a lawyer, he only knew I owed telus and the amount. I asked for proof they are authorized to collect this debt and for more information and never got anything.

I also asked for their collection agency permit number and have never had a response.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Collection Agencies are regulated by legislation of each province. Lawyers are licensed by the law society in each province. A lawyer in Ontario may contact you regarding a debt in Quebec. The lawyer may sue you for a debt incurred in Quebec but must sue you in Quebec as this is where the cause of action arose and the laws that apply to the contract. The lawyer him/herself may not be able to appear in person and may require a lawyer or agent licensed to practice in Quebec to act for him.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Thanks for the info, this was from back in August though. I sent a letter to the consumer complaint department about this and the debt was wiped out. They couldn't prove that they had legally purchased the debt from the original company I owed money to (Telus)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection [ 1 Answers ]

If cache ll purchased your debt from a crdit card agency can they take you to court to collect the amount of debt that yiu owe?

Debt Collection [ 1 Answers ]

I am being asked to pay a debt that is 15 years old. In 1992 I supposedly asked for assistance from social assistance to get money while awaiting for unemployment insurance. I have received a letter form social assistance asking for over 3000.00 dollars. I spoke to the woman who sent me the letter...

Debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

Wondering if there was a time limit a business can collect on a debt. I received a bill from and urgent care facility from jan. 3, 2005. All this time thought insurance pd it. Now we don't even have the same insurance company they said it cannot be sent to secondary because primary did not respond...

Collection debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am wondering if I have a collection bill in the states but live in canada can I still travel in the states. I got screwed over there in California and feel ripped off but really want to still travel in the states . Thanks for any help

View more questions Search