Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurelyn62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Child support and paternity in divorce case
    A dear friend of mine who is a refugee married an American citizen from IL when she was 5 months pregnant (still living in Jordan at that time- they were married double-proxy.) The husband's name is on the son's birth record from Jordan, but after the baby was born, he abandonded the marriage.
    My friend is now living in IL and is filing divorce papers.
    Since the father of the baby lives in AZ, would it be better for her to pursue paternity through him? Her son has no US citizenship papers without a father listed. The only proof she has of her husband's consent to raise the baby is a copy of the birth record from Jordan with his name listed as the father. Is that enough to force him to pay child support and/ or sign citizenship papers for the baby?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
    If they were legally married at the time of birth, then he'd be legally presumed to be the father and no further evidence should be necessary. However, given the unusual circumstances of this particular case, if he attempts to contest paternity she may need a DNA test to prove that he is the father before he can be ordered to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test / Child Support / Custody [ 13 Answers ]

I got pregnant in January of 2005 by a guy I had been with for about 7 months. As soon as I said the word, he demanded I have an abortion and he was out the door. I couldn't go through with the abortion, and I had considered adoption but in the end I couldn't do that either. I had the baby 5 weeks...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Adult child paternity rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if I have any right to determine who my father is? I am 32 years old, and have been trying tactfully to contact the man who is said to be my father. I want nothing more from him than the truth... is he my father? If he is, all I am looking for is family tree information and...

Child Support and paternity [ 26 Answers ]

My husband is not the biological father of his daughter, but he signed the birth certificate. The mother of the child will not let my husband see his daughter, and has recently gone for child support. He refuses and I mean refuses to pay for her. Is there any way to do a paternity test in...

Child support after divorce [ 8 Answers ]

I have been divorced for a year now and have two children. My ex ended up with custody of the children. I have visitations with the children staying with me. I am in public housing that includes my children on the lease. Plus am on food stamps that includes the children. I do work, but my income is...

View more questions Search