Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandon9475 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 06:15 AM
    High and low side pressure readings on home AC R-22 refrigerant
    I would like to find out the normal operating range of pressure (high and low side) on a fully charged R-22 (york) home air conditioning system; also, the unit is a 4 ton unit, what is the total freon capacity in the system. How much does it hold?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Pressures and refrigerant capacity will vary depending on first how old the equipment is (the older the system the more they might hold ) the older systems also ran a higher head pressure as well, the pressures also varied as to what metering device is installed. Look on the name tag for system refrigerant capacity.
    The suction ptressure will range from 60 to 80 lbs. and the head will range from 170 to 325 lbs. The charge is based on sub cooling or superheat and that's the best way to charge a system. Good luck . Mike
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 06:57 AM
    In addition to the info provided by acetc, other factors will impact operating pressures. Insufficient indoor airflow (clogged air filter, clogged evaporator coil, blower not operating, etc.) will typically result in lower than normal pressures. Insufficient outdoor airflow (clogged condenser coil, fan not operating) will cause higher than normal pressures. Assure that you do not have problems in these areas before evaluating system performance.
    harrison smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Do you about Freon 22a and if you can drop it in where r22 was
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by harrison smith View Post
    do you about Freon 22a and if you can drop it in where r22 was
    R22a is highly flammable & should not be used, period. Here is a link to EPA's website which discusses R22a. Alternatives / SNAP | US EPA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High pressure at sink, low pressure at shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sink in the bathroom has good solid water pressure. Next in the circuit is the toilet, which also has good pressure at the angle valve. The shower, however has terrible pressure. I have removed the head, and the pressure out of the shower neck is no better. Shower neck exits the...

High and low side ports AC system 1992 Honda [ 5 Answers ]

1992 Honda Accord EX. Where are the high and low side ports located for AC system. Going to retrofit the AC port valves. Can find what I think is the low side port but cannot see the high side port. Thanks very much moyohonda In response to answer by TXgreasemonkey, I cannot find R12...

Low Pressure on the Hot Water Side [ 3 Answers ]

A few days ago we noticed a significant drop in the water pressure on the hot waterside. It seems to be all over the house. We called a plumber to take a look. He said there is no leak and the only thing he can figure is one of the balls inside the hot water heater we installed less than 2 years...

Low Pressure Hot Water Side Only [ 5 Answers ]

I just recently had to do some repair on my bathroom sink because I accidentally drilled into a water line in my concrete wall (no dry wall at all). Well, I made the fix on the pipe after opening up the wall. When all is said and done I hooked up the flex lines to the faucet and nothing comes out...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search