Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salb222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2005, 04:19 PM
    Taping Into a Washer's Standpipe
    Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked.

I want to add a drain directly below the machine in case of leaks/disasters, etc. I'm guessing I have to add a p-trap below the new floor drain and then tap into the 2" standpipe? Is that OK? As an alternate idea, can I do the same if I instead add a spill tub under the machine first, so that there's no chance of the water missing the drain (in the spill tub), that's directly below the machine?

In either case above, do I also need to, or should I also install a one-way valve somewhere in the 2" drain pipe--is that necessary? Please advise. Thanks! ;o)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salb222
    Hello, just wondering if I can install an in-floor drain that taps into the standpipe drain I already use for my first-floor washing machine. The standpipe runs directly behind, then underneath the washer (underneath the floor board)--there's room enough to work under there--I checked.

I want to add a drain directly below the machine in case of leaks/disasters, etc. I'm guessing I have to add a p-trap below the new floor drain and then tap into the 2" standpipe? Is that OK? As an alternate idea, can I do the same if I instead add a spill tub under the machine first, so that there's no chance of the water missing the drain (in the spill tub), that's directly below the machine?

In either case above, do I also need to, or should I also install a one-way valve somewhere in the 2" drain pipe--is that necessary? Please advise. Thanks! ;o)
    Adding a floor drain is overkill. But if you wish, get one with a built in trap.
    We install a washer pan under where the washer sets and run a 3/4" PVC drain line outside or to the nearest floor drain. Washers aren't like water heaters that burst a weld in the boiler and dump 40 gallons of water in your basement. Washers develop seal leaks that trickle out from underneath. In my opinion I think you're worried needlessly. A check valve in the standpipe is not recomendedat any time. Good luck, Tom
    salb222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Thanks!
    Hey, that's not a bad idea at all to just run a pvc to the outside. The location where I'm moving the washer is very close to the outside of the house. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Taping a sheet rocked garage [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, The guy I hired to sheetrock the addition we are building did what he called fire taping the walls in the garage. I have searched and searched to find the proper steps to fire tape a garage to no avail. What I need to find out is if what he did was correct. He taped the seams and...

Laundry standpipe overflow [ 10 Answers ]

The standpipe that our washing machine drains into recently started overflowing. It's only a small amount at a time, creating a tiny puddle that runs in front of the machine. It seems to happen during the rinse cycle. There's no noticeable odor or sudsing. Any idea what could be causing this...

Taping cement board joints [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know what kind of compound to use on cement board?I've checked the USG FAQ site and they recommend 'glass tape for the joints, I see no mention of compound, other than to say that joint compound is not acceptable because cb is generally used in damp areas and the joint compound won't...

Wall standpipe overflow [ 3 Answers ]

The wall standpipe for my 10 year old washer machine overflows as the washer discharges water during the cycle. This problem only happened very recently. I tried to run the snake down the pipe but it only went about 2 feet and couldn't go any further. I also noticed the pipe is very rusty as I...

Rooftop Standpipe perhaps? [ 6 Answers ]

I have read through most of the plumbing problems and haven't seen exactly my situation, so here goes. Here are the facts as best as I can describe. Block home built in 1968 as 2 bdr. 1 bath Addition of a bedroom and additional bath circa 1978 (fireplace too.. another issue) Secondary...

View more questions Search