Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Aug 23, 2007, 07:38 PM
    10 year olds coming out as gay?
    I recently got into a heated debate with a friend. A mutual friend of ours works at a summer camp for young children and apparently a few boys ranging from ages 10 and 11 have come out as being gay and 2 of them are even boyfriend and boyfriend, kissing and holding hands. She seems to think this is great and yadda yadda. And I think this is a positive thing too... but I don't think it is serious. I don't think males at that age are mentally capable of determining sexual orientation. I didn't start considering myself hetero until about 13 or 14. It is nice that homosexuality is being tolerated and welcomed... especially by young people... but can they really be serious?

I would like others inputs so I can make a better argument with my friend... if my opinion is correct anyway
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 07:40 PM
    No not all thing this is good and at that age at a camp no kissing of any sex should be allowed. It is sick to allow and encourge children this age to have any sexual orientation
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 07:43 PM
    My opinion of it is if a little girl can know she likes a little boy then why can't someone recognize their liking of someone of the same sex? I don't know about kissing and all that seems a little too mature for their young age. But I see nothing wrong with holding hands and pronouncing each other a couple. Tons of little girls and little boys do that with each other why not two little girls or two little boys? My best friend is a preschool teacher and she says its obvious from that age if a kid is gay.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 24, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Interesting topic.

I personally don't think a child of that age can be very self-aware. When I was 10, boys were still gross and kissing was out of the question. However, with some friends who were "more mature" than me, they were really just emulating an adult or older sibling -- they didn't actually know what THEY wanted. Its hard to say since I didn't personally observe what your friend did, but my initial instinct says kids that age may think they have certain feelings but that could very possibly change as they mature and learn more about themselves.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 06:20 AM
    The friends that I have who are homosexual have always said that they knew from a young age, but thought that it was wrong because it wasn't the norm. I agree with them...

But this conversation can quickly turn bad depending on a persons view. Many people think it is something you are born with which would explain the "knowing" at a young age... others who believe that it is due to trauma or popularity, or that it is a choice, may believe it is just to acquire attention or that they are simply experimenting..
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 07:51 AM
    As a father I do know that talking to children, on their level is so essential, when they exhibit signs or behaviour of growing more mature than the sandbox. Not only to find out what really on their mind, but to make them aware of their public behaviour. That's not to say they need fire and brimstone, but do need guidance and reassurance, that they are okay to have the feelings, and this is the way to deal with them, on a public level. The worse thing we can do is make them uncomfortable within their own skin. If the two boys are already knowing feelings between them, then they should be taught, as all children should be, what is for public behaviour, and what is not acceptable. (kissing at camp) My own father told me no touching my 10 year old sweetie, and I think I would tell that to these two as being, age appropriate instructions. At least that's what I told mine.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Many children start experiencing with their feelings at an early age... weather it be boys or girls. I think it is great that homosexuality is becoming an accepted part of relationships between two people. However, as everyone has said... public display of affection at that age should be watched and the children should be taught about what is acceptable at that age and what is not. This is the same for a boy and a girl, and boy and a boy, and a girl and a girl.
    I think it is great that children are learning not to suppress their feeling because they think its wrong. But the proper communication is key!
    IntroducingEmy Posts: 87, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2007, 12:05 AM
    I have a good friend, who at a young age experimented in homosexuality with other boys though he was too young to remember it in any detail. He considers himself straight and is comfortable in that lifestyle. I assume that you either know or you don't and that experimenting in all aspects of life seems to be the norm.

I wonder though, if those boys aren't gay and choose to life straight/bi/whatever if they'll be ridiculed for their prior actions? I hope they have supportive folks who can help them defend their lifestyles, whatever they may be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Research into why 18-15 year olds want to get married. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and I have come here hopeing that some of you here will be able to help me with my research. I need participants to fill in an online questionnaire who are aged between 18 and 25, and are currently in a relationship that is at least a year long. The link to...

Un budging knot in 7 year olds hair [ 2 Answers ]

My seven year old daughter has fanny length hair. She went swimming with a braid which wasn't removed for a while. She had a knot the size of a baseball. I've gotten it down some by working for an hour a day for the last 5 days but it is at a standstill. Ive tried drenching it in conditioner, baby...

Is my 18 year old brother gay? [ 5 Answers ]

Is my 18 year brother gay? I've never seen him with a girl,he seems very secretive,and he always listens to girly music.But he loves boxing. Oh yeah he also stays in the shower.

18-year-olds, physical intimacy? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a freshman in college. I found a wonderful guy about 3 months ago, and we are now going out (we made it official a month ago). We're both very spiritual, and have had many long talks about our values and interests. We've shared secrets and both respect each other very highly. This is the...

View more questions Search