Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Inheritance after divorce
    Here is the situation. Husband and wife were divorced over 1 year ago. Wife's parents pass away and leave a small estate and an ocean front condo. Wife and here sibs are selling the condo and the ex-husband says part of the proceeds will belong to him. He currently pays alimony of $6k per month for the next 10 years plus a small child support. Is he entitled to some of the sale proceeds, please no guessing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2007, 11:29 AM
    We have to guess, because laws and situations vary. But my feeling is that the inheritance occurred after the divorce, therefore he has no legal interest in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance [ 5 Answers ]

What is the tax structure for Federal Taxes on inheritance taxes when you receive money from someone's will?

Intitled to inheritance in a divorce? [ 5 Answers ]

Could the spouse be intitled to half of a inheritance estate that is due the other party in the near future after 20 year of marriage. CB

Inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I have just received a cash inheritance of $49,900. The inheritance tax was already paid prior to the distribution. I can't seem to get an answer as to whether I have to pay both Federal tax and Maryland State tax. I was also told to hold 1/3 back for state tax in MD. Can anyone clarify for me...

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I'm receiving an inheritance from Germany of about $260,000 (after Germany's taxes). What are my federal tax ramifications? (I live in Wyoming). What is the best way to minimize my taxes?

Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I would like find out what inheritance of divorced couples and one is re-married:confused:If my pension will be divided between two husband even #1 not in my will?

View more questions Search