Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronnieca1955 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2005, 12:27 AM
    Support tech
    When you call support tech they know everything what to do in a book or something? How does one like myself get the same book or info they do when they are talking to you over the phone? I would like to have the same informaion they have.

Thank you

[email protected]
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2005, 02:27 AM
    Support Help
    Hi,
    Customer Service Reps and Tech Support have manuals listed on their computers while they are talking with you.
    Yes, They can search for a particular topic, until they find what your issue is; and give you an answer.
    I was a Customer Care Representative for a short time for a well-known cell phone company, and the info we had was not to be emailed to customers.
    You will have to find your own info on the web, using Google or any other search engine.
    These computerized manuals are not available to the public.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnieca1955
    when you call support tech they know everything what to do in a book or something? How does one like myself get the same book or info they do when they are talking to you over the phone? I would like to have the same informaion they have.

thank you

[email protected]
    It is true that support techs generally do have a script of troubleshooting tips that they go through to help diagnose and/or fix the problem. These scripts will vary from company to company and from product to product. Whether this script is available to the public depends on the company and/or product. You would have to ask the techs whether you can get a copy as it might be proprietary company info.

Many companies have knowledge bases that are used by support techs and can be used by customer. A great example of this is the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) available at support.microsoft.com.

But a lot of techs have their own knowledge and experience to draw on. I don't use a script when helping people. I read/listen to their question/problem. I may then ask questions to help pinpoint the problem based on my experience. From there I can offer troubleshooting procedures, pull a solution from my experience or do further research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

M-tech in distance mode [ 1 Answers ]

I completed my degree in B.Sc(computers).just now I completed my post graduation in M.B.A.I want to do M-tech now .Can you tell me about the details of the M-tech in distance mode

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

Computer repair tech Freelance [ 3 Answers ]

I am considereing investing in an A+ computer repair tech course Someone told me that companies such as Gatewy use freelance contractors to service their home computer warranties and support I would want to freelance Thank You

I can't find a tech job. I need help. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 26 year old professional in the IT field. I was recently laid off from a company that is going out of business. I have been out of work for a few months now. I have tried everything; Resume professionaly done, job fairs, contacted consultants, signed up for every career finder website...

View more questions Search