Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4ofus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Getting rid of fleas
    Hi, we have 2 dogs and a new house.. and we now have fleas! We have treated the yard for fleas and need to rid the house and dogs of them, but I do not want to "bomb" the house with insecticides. I have heard to use salt, Borax laundry detergent and dish detergent... if anyone has experience with any of these please let me know! They just steadily get worse and they are driving us and the dogs crazy!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 07:11 AM
    For the dogs, the best stuff comes from the vet, something such as the Revolution I use, Program, Advantage, Bio Spot, and others I can't think of right now. An insect bomb might be safer for the dogs than salt, borax, or detergent. Harsh, non specific chemicals are not a safe idea. The fleas and their eggs are mainly in the dog bedding, carpet, cracks, upholstered furniture. Laundering, vacuuming, and disposing of the bag or dirt goes a long ways. Follow up with a spray such as Ovitrol. It kills the fleas and their eggs. You could try some of the flea traps, with the light and sticky paper.

If the dogs have the run of the house and furniture, the insect bomb may be the only answer. Late summer and early fall are the worst time of the year for fleas. We mostly keep the dogs in one room with a hardwood floor and the only furniture besides their own beds they are allowed on is the one beanbag chair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of the fleas that are infesting my kittens [ 1 Answers ]

My kittens are only 2 days old, and are getting infested with fleas How do I get rid of them without hurting the kittens?

Fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Howdy folks, I have 3 dogs,a toy poodle,a jack russle/chiawawamix, and an 86 poubd chow dog.We have all the high dollar flea stuff, and can kill them on the dogs, but my question is... What can I do about killing them in the yard?? Is there a spray or some sort of poisen to kill these things in...

How can I get rid of the fleas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 week old lab that has fleas. The fleas don't jump. They are to content. But I bathed her with puppy shampoo and they have all moved to her head around her eyes that haven't opened yet. What can I do or use?

Fleas [ 1 Answers ]

My female german shepherd got fleas during her pregnancy and we didn't think we could do anything about it but now all 11 pups have fleas also... what can we do about:confused: the puppies are 4 days old today. Thanks Martha

Fleas! [ 3 Answers ]

Home remedies for 12 week old beagle with fleas can't get rid of them. PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search