Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbone Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 04:26 PM
    Content advisor
    "Hi, My PC Win XP at work has been converted into a paper weight by our IT guy. He has restricted nearly the entire web from being displayed. Is there any back door you know of for me to make the change in content advisor without knowing his admin log-on and password?";
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2005, 05:07 PM
    First you should not crosspost duplicate questions. Choose one appropriate category and post there. Following is my answer to your other post:

Do you like your job? Your company owns your computer equipment and has the right to restrict its usage. I would suspect your IT guy took this step because he was tired of cleaning out problems caused by people who surfed the WEB without restrictions.

Once the company dictates rules for the use of its systems, it would be unethical for anyone to show you how to get around them. More importantly, you could be fired for doing so.

Do your surfing at home, not on the office's time.

Scott<>
    mbone Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 05:31 PM
    Funny, I don't recall asking for anyone's opinion about my request. Tell you what Scott, You want to stand on your soapbox? Do it elsewhere.

Aug 28, 2005, 06:00 PM
    You obviously don't understand how sites like this work. First, once you post a question it is fair game for anyone to offer any comments they wish. The very act of posting, in effect, ask for opinions. Second, you may not like the advice I gave, but its good and valid advice nonetheless. If you try to get around the restrictions placed by your IT department, you could be disciplined up to the point of being fired.

I have every right to "get on my soapbox" in offering advice to a question like this. Its one of the principles of Q&A sites. I doubt if I will be the only one to weigh in with the same advice. Similar questions have gotten a similar reaction.

Scott<>
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2005, 02:37 AM
    Content Advisor
    Hi,
    Good point about another post of a person standing on a soapbox... this particular person has a soapbox for every subject... he must store them in a 10 story building, using all floors and rooms!
    No, you can't change anything that the administrator has set. You might also like to know, if not already, that if your company is very large, the administrator can keep track of EVERY keystroke you make!
    I have experience with the computer department of a call center, for customer service representatives, and the administrator has the capability for knowing every keystroke.
    Also, if you have email capability, be careful what you send and receive. Even deleting these emails does not keep them from being seen by the administrator.
    There is really no way to change anything.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Aug 29, 2005, 05:26 AM
    I knew Fred was going to take a shot at me because of the soapbox remark. I was just waiting for it. And I don't apologize for it. While it is totally false (and typical of Fred's tendency to misinformation) that I have a soapbox for every subject, I do have strong opinions on things. I am not shy about expressing those opinions when appropriate. Isn't that what forums like these are partially about?

I find it interesting that at the same time Fred is taking a shot at me for saying it, he is agreeing with what I had said.

Scott<>
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Aug 29, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Restricted access
    It might be a silly question,but why has your work IT guy restricted full access to the web.Is it because staff were using it for their own purposes,or because it's work policy,or he's plain mean.At work we have full access to the web,but obviously everyone has their own log-on details.There was eruptions some time ago when staff were simply emailing friends,just because they could,so that was stopped,but apart from that,no one I know of does anything illegal,such as downloading mp3 tracks,or movies via P2P at work.Our company policy clearly states that such activity is a sackable offence.I'd ask the IT guy for an explanation.Nicely of course.

Aug 29, 2005, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Our company policy clearly states that such activity is a sackable offence.I'd ask the IT guy for an explanation.Nicely of course.
    Nez,
    Excellent point! I had assumed the IT guy operated with the approval of upper management. Every company needs a clearly stated poilicy of computer usage which should be handed out to all new employees and made available easily.

There are usually very valid reasons for restricting access/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New to CMS (Content Management Systems) [ 4 Answers ]

I've got easy Fantastico install options for these CMS: Geeklog Joomla Mambo Open Source phpWCMS phpWebSite Post-Nuke Siteframe

<Adult Content> Orgasms [ 6 Answers ]

What is the capacity for a female to have multiple orgasms; is there a maximum? I ask this because I recently had an experience that has left me quite stunned. I was having a relationship with a fabulous woman who also had an incredible sex drive. From the first time we were intimate she had...

Becoming an Academic Advisor? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have an leads on positions in Academic Advising?? I have to finish three clases and I will have a degree in Guidance and Counseling. I work in Career Services so I have work experience on giving advice and guidance but I want to concentrated more in Academics. I completed my...

Content Advisor [ 5 Answers ]

"Hi, My PC Win XP at work has been converted into a paper weight by our IT guy. He has restricted nearly the entire web from being displayed. Is there any back door you know of for me to make the change in content advisor without knowing his admin log-on and password?";

Content Advisor [ 3 Answers ]

View more questions Search