Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dewurite7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 03:32 PM
    What is a switch?
    What is a switch? How does it work? Where can I get 1?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 03:38 PM
    A switch just stops the connection from one thing to another. Clarify; what do you need the switch for?
    dewurite7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    A switch just stops the connection from one thing to another. Clarify; what do you need the switch for?
    I want to connect my xbox360 and laptop without having to run another line from the router
    ChiGuyRy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 07:30 AM
    If you just want to connect your xbox to your laptop without any network connections you could just use a cross over cable. Your options: Hub, Router, or a cross over cable.
    Obviously the cross over cable is cheaper. Good luck
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 23, 2007, 07:32 AM
    For that to work, you have to turn on Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop, too. Otherwise, the xbox won't have an IP address and will be on a different physical network.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Like I said in my other note most broadband routers have a built in switch. Switches are network devices that manage data packaets that are sent across a LAN. A switch knows which network device the packets are addressed to so it sends them directly. Unlike a Hub which just broadcasts the packets and leaves it up to the device to determine whether it belongs to it.

I think what you are really asking is that you have one line running a distance to your PC and you also want to connect your XBox to that same line. So you can daisy chain the switch. Get another small switch (a 5 port model can cost about $30) and plug the cable coming from your router into the uplink port. Then connect your XBox and PC to the switch.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
    That's assuming that the laptop is using wifi to connect to the router/internet. Otherwise you would need a second nic on the laptop to get back to the router. Using ICS also means that while you are on the xbox the laptop has to be on.

If your laptop is in a different room than your router and you only have one line in the room the simplest thing to do (IMO) is to pickup a cheap wired router and plug both devices into that. You can get cheap ones for $30 or less.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 09:41 AM
    There are ways of making the connection wireless from the router even if the router isn't wireless. Kind of expensive, but it works. If you already have wireless thenit's half as expensive.

Idea is to set up a wireless bridge between the router and the location. If it's very high spped you want you may have limited options. 54* 0.8 mbps is easy.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 23, 2007, 11:24 AM
    I was thinking that the laptop was connecting wirelessly already. And since almost all laptops have a built in RJ45 jack nowadays, that he could enable ICS on the wireless connection, and use the Wired one to go to the xbox.

Now I realize that we don't quite know how his current network is set up... So,

Dewurite:

What is your network set up like right now? Is the laptop on wireless, or is there a network cable? Does your laptop HAVE wireless, and is it a wireless router?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search