Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deezee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 08:56 AM
    Jumping the starter
    We did jump the starter directly, with a 12 volt booster/charger and got absolutely nothing. Sears here he comes, to pay through the nose for a new starter... I'll let you know what happens. We are going to try and take it to the small engine repair guy and see if he knows how to bench test the starter before we run off to Sears. Thanks for your help.
    duek469 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 12:10 PM
    thebriggsdude,

I get nothing when I turn the key. No clicking or anything. I interpreted your response for clicking. Can I go the same route with nothing? Or should I look for something else? FYI, the tractor was running, then stopped and we haven't been able to get it running again. If that helps. It also has a brand new battery. It was replaced when the tractor stopped running. I will check on the fuse, now that you have given me a place to look for it.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2005, 02:49 PM
    So it was just running and stopped on you... check the fuse, then move on to wire connections.
    deezee Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 05:13 PM
    It was the starter
    Thanks for your help, $118.00 later, it cranked right up. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2005, 07:43 PM
    No problem...
    superkid778 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Well, it is running awesome now... new starter, new coil pack, carb rebuilt, new gear lube in tranny... for the cost of about $130... thanks for the help again!
    Chris
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by superkid778
    well, it is running awesome now...new starter, new coil pack, carb rebuilt, new gear lube in tranny...for the cost of about $130....thanks for the help again!
    chris
    No problem, and for $130 bucks for it all, good deal...
    radar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 01:48 PM
    Bolens/mtd 22HP (b&s) lawn tractor 46" cut mower
    Hi all,

I need some advice on my lawn mower... its a 22hp briggs motor bolens/mtd mower. The battery was low, and I attempted to jump start it with my truck, problem was that it did not start, but it seems the starter was running the engine at a slow speed. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop that, the key switch did nothing.

I checked the fuse near the starter solnoid and it is good, I tested the solnoid and it works, the ignition switch seems OK. I got a new battery in it and I turned the key and same thing happens, the engine doesn't start and it the engine just runs at a very slow speed, the key and throttle do nothing to shut it off, I had to disconnect the battery again to get it to stop, I suspect my old battery maybe was still OK. The starter was very warm after I disconnected the battery.

Does anyone know what is broken and how jump starting it broke it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Radar
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2005, 03:08 PM
    Did you go, positive to positive. Negative to negative? Jump starting it from a truck battery won't hurt it, as long as the connections are done right, the battery should be negatively grounded, just a short cable to the body, other cable to the solenoid, then to the starter, make sure the connections are good. How did you test the solenoid?

Nov 5, 2005, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    did you go, positive to positive. negative to negative? jump starting it from a truck battery won't hurt it, as long as the connections are done right, the battery should be negatively grounded, just a short cable to the body, other cable to the solenoid, then to the starter, make sure the connections are good. how did you test the solenoid?
    I took the solenoid out and put 12dc to the small push on termainal and it did click on and off as I applied 12vdc. And with a ohm meter it opened and closed the circuit.

I have a older 12.5hm mower with a engine knock, I will take the solenoid from that mower and test in the 22hp mower and reply if that works.

I did jump start the mower correctly. Although the truck was running when I tried to jump start the mower, would that matter?
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2005, 09:02 PM
    Yes it could have overloaded the battery. Well on to more questions :D didn't ask if it was a ohv (over head valve) engine. If it is, make sure valves are adjusted right. If you take the plug out, does it spin over any more quick?

Nov 6, 2005, 08:00 AM
    Ohv
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    yes it could have overloaded the battery. well on to more questions :D didn't ask if it was a ohv (over head valve) engine. if it is, make sure valves are adjusted right. if you take the plug out, does it spin over any quicker?
    I did not realize till you asked, but yes it is a twin cyl. OHV, it's a model 407777 (I bought this new in June 2004). Is adjusting the valves needed/important?

I tested the solenoid from the old mower with bad motor and it did turn over the engine, it is not the same mounting so I'll either have to buy a new solenoid or "make a bracket" for this one. It is weird that jumpstarting from truck damaged the solenoid. The only thing is that the new battery maybe needs some charging, as it did not turn over the engine very well. I'll take out the plugs and reply.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Good you had another to test, always helps a lot to have a extra laying around. But yes the system can get overloaded. I've done it before. As for the valves, yes its always good to have them adjusted, some say once a year, but some hardly need it.

Nov 6, 2005, 05:27 PM
    Thank you thebriggsdude!
    thebriggsdude, thank you very much for your help and advice, I got my mower all fixed and working, of course it is a rainy day today and needed to get the yard mowed yesterday, but that's the way it goes.

Anyway I was able to get a new solenoid and put it in and it fixed it up. I'll check the vavles as soon as I figure out how too.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2005, 07:28 PM
    Your welcome, glad you got it going...
    jamesdover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Help Briggs dude
    My engine is a 14.5 hp ohv briggs and stratton. It only runs when I spray starter fluid in the carb. I had to bypass the kill wire like you said in previous postings. I cleaned the carb the best I could it seemed to be very clean no gunk from sitting gas. Also I change the fuel line and filter. Oh, one more thing is it OK to use gasket sealant over a normal gasket?
    Thanks, James
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2005, 08:21 PM
    So it didn't run before you took the kill wire off using starting fluid? How long was it setting with untreated gas? Don't use gasket sealer, I'd go get some carb cleaner in a can, some carb soaking solution ( napa, advance, autozone, etc.). Soak the carb fully disassembled. And have a gasket kit for it when you rebuild it. You may not see it, but it can have clogged passages, even though it looks clean.
    beiffe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 03:04 AM
    Starter solenoid
    Does anyone have a user manual to show where the starter solenoid is located and how to replace as mine has died and I want to replace but can not get a manual in Aus
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2005, 07:09 PM
    Would like to know what brand? If its mtd, mtd's website may have the manual for it.
    tippysowner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Hello I am Jim in Tennessee. I own a mower like this and it starts but can't find a manual for it anywhere on how to set the carb. I have emptied all old gas and new gas in it and even 2 new plugs in it and it dies after mowing for less than 3 minutes. Put a new carb kit in it also(diaphragm and springs). It has the same motor except for 2 hp higher than this one. Pics would Look same and all it is 42" cut. I will include the model and serial numbers in this message below this text.

Model Number=13AS699G088TMO-320420S

Serial Number=IC177H30128

Model Number the letter after M in TM might be a D but not sure which.

Even yardman website can't find the manual. Need It desperately or the instructions on how to set carb to get it working properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

MTD Mower Won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm...

Yardman self propelled 6.5 hp walk behind mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have trash in my fuel line from dirty fuel and need to clean the fuel filter, does anybody know where it is and how to get to it? Thanks

Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bolens 4.5 mower probably less than 2 yrs old. I've checked the fire from the coil and I have consistent fire, I can hear the compression. I just need to know how I inspect this carb to see if it needs rebuilding. Also where would I get the rebuild kit. Any help would be appreciated as...

Mower won't start. [ 9 Answers ]

All, I was working on the wiring on my mower, because a white wire was disconnected. It smoked from the flywheel area. I thought it was the coil, replaced that. It still doesn't start. It will turn over continually no problem. Just doesn't fire up. Could it be a switch, wiring, any ideas? ...

View more questions Search