Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Ballast
    What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2005, 02:51 PM
    I may have about 100 fluorescent fixtures I have been taking care of years. Invariably, if new bulbs don't light, changing the ballast will fix the problem. When you open up the light, you might make sure the ballast is getting power, and no obvious open connections. Also, some older fixtures require a working starter.

If somebody can post a simple test, I would be very happy to see it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Please provide the type of ballast. The manufacturer and model number is best. If unknown, please provide the quantity and type of lamps the balast is designed for. For example, is it for 2- 4 foot F40 T12 lamps, which is a rapid start ballast, or is it for 2- 8 foot F96T12 lamps, which is a slimline ballast.

These are the two basic , most popular type ballasts. There are several other types, the type would be helpful, as each type has it's own specifc testing procedure for testing the actual ballast itself.

Please explain further what you are actually looking to do, create a test benchset to test several ballasts? Or??
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2005, 04:07 PM
    2 bulb 8 Ft The bench test is because I have several used ballast that I don't know if the are good or not. Thought it would be eaiser to test them before installation.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 05:04 PM
    Sorry for the delay. Here is a link to a troubleshooting guide for ballasts. See the section regarding slimline ballasts.

http://www.advancetransformer.com/up...ng-guide-2.pdf

You may want to set up a fixture on the bench to connect each ballast one by one to test each operation, if the guide is a bit too much what you may be looking for.
    emc2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:
    How do I test a ballast?
    emc2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 09:52 AM
    How do I test a ballast?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
    emc2, wiring diagram is usually on most ballast.
    I usually don't test the ballast. If known good bulbs don't work, I usually check supply voltage into ballast and the Ground(Important), The only thing left is the sockets or the wires into them.
    The link provided by TK is very helpful.
    Bulbs are quick and cheap. If the ends of the bulbs are dark or black, Replace.
    Anyone testing a lot of the same Ballast. I would start with a working fixture and have quick way of making and breaking the connections, as well as power off switch, for use during swapping ballast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

480 volt ballast [ 1 Answers ]

Hello currently looking at setting up 480 volt 1000 watt high pressure sodium ballasts. Primary power is 600 volts 60 amp. From that what is the max amps I can use at 480 volts? A qualified electrition will be doing that part... then the trick will be working with the wiring and setting up...

Modifying a HPS ballast, spooky! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi chaps, I have a 400W Metal Halide bulb and ballast. The bulb socket is permanantly attached to the end of the ballast and the unit is designed to hang vertically from the opposite end of the ballast. I would like to separate the ballast from the bulb by two meters. I have opened the ballast...

View more questions Search