Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidhayz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Divorce Division of Real Estate
    My separated wife and I own a home in Virginia. She moved out of the house in June of 2000. I have made all of the mortgage payments which include taxes, insurance, etc.. As well as upkeep and improvements since that date. When we get an official divorce in Virginia, is there some level of credit given to me for the 7 or more years that I have done that? Is there some point that she would be considered to have abandoned the property? The kids will be over the age of 18 and in college and there are no other appreciable assets when the process is started.

Thanks!

Hope to hear from you soon!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Division of marital property is a negotiation. What your attorney should do is figure out the value of the property and the amount of equity in June of 2000. Divide that by half and that should be her share. Now whether her attorney will allow that or whether the courts will is another story. But that would be my bargaining point.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Aug 22, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Any and all money earned, saved, spent, gifted, burned, etc. etc. is just that while married. Money, property, investments etc. you owned prior to marriage remains yours as long as you didn't bring part or whole of same into use. Separation does not change the rule. In a divorce, all property, investments, cash, etc. produced by either party will simply be split in half. If your wife is not working, the courts will provide her and any children with monthly financial support which you will be so directed to provide. On the other hand if she has a job and is responsible for her financials then your role will change. Best wishes to all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

Could a quitclaim deed be overturned. I signed a quitclaim deed about 6 months ago. I want my name back on the title . Could this happen in my favor.

Real estate [ 1 Answers ]

For immigration reasons I have to leave US I need to deed the house back to the bank how do I do that?

Real Estate [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a house on land contract --- The warranty deed is in one persons name and he quick claimed the house to his girlfriend. She is the one who I have the land contract with. Is it legal? And can he take the house back?

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search