Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 03:01 AM
    Google sky launched today
    Too cool!

... but if you already have something like StarryNight software, you'll probably find Google sky no better.

NY Times Story
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 04:11 AM
    I can see it being useful if they bring out a net-based version, then it offers the ease and convenience of Google maps with no downloads etc. Otherwise I think you're right, it offers little above software that is currently available.
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 04:18 AM
    I think it's being simple and user friendly is it's best point... but I went to my favorite star Betelgeuse and it does not give any info at all... just the name :(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 22, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Nore information here: Google invades Outer Space | The Register
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Cool, but I'm still bringing my kids to a planetarium. If I got a crick in my neck at 10 years old then so will they! :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Everyone should go to a planetarium at some point.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Too cool!

...but if you already have something like StarryNight software, you'll probably find google sky no better.

NY Times Story
    Boy, that did it to me, Rick.. It has been 4 hours since I clicked on the link and it lead me to one of my pet peeves - global warming - I'm so p*ssed off from reading all the b.s. from politicians that I have to cool off.
    My high BP right now does me good though - proves I'm still alive and able to be angry at ignorant you-know-whats.

Ah.. where was I.. Oh, on AHMD.. now calm down and read some posts...

don't ask how I got there.. it's too long of a story
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:07 AM
    You and me both on the global warning thing ;) Politicians ought not to be allowed to use that term.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
    While we're all seeing stars, I have been interested in obtaining a telescope. Not knowing what features and/or functions to look for has stopped me in my tracks. I still intend to have one (donations would be greatly appreciated... haha) but I'l gladly accept any advice my likeminded AMHDer's could offer...
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Today's entry level refractors (about 2.5"), if made by a reputable company like Meade, run about $150 and they'll thrill you for years.

If you can go more like $350, get a 5-6" Reflector.

I'm on my 3rd telescope and have always gone with Meade. Beware telescope bargain brands; they're just junk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sky, wireless to laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've just converted from bt to sky. I've received my wireless router from sky. I operate a toshiba laptop. I can't download all the sky cd rom as it stalls saying my windowa xp is not authentic. I have purchased a wireless bus card for the laptop but can't get my laptop to operate on wireless....

Mysterious object in the sky [ 3 Answers ]

I need an opinion. So as I was looking up in the sky with my telescope tonight I noticed a very bright object in the sky. I was literally convinced it was a plane headed straight for me until I focused on it with my telescope. It then jumped out at me with a bright orange color and seemed as if it...

Max height of ball launched at angle [ 1 Answers ]

A golfer hits a golf ball a horizontal distance of 301.5m. What is the max height the ball will reach if it is launched at an angle 25 degrees above the ground?:)

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater if it works or doesn't if someone does write back.:(

Whale live on Sky News! [ 7 Answers ]

Holy mackarel.Take a read of this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4631396.stm For UK,and International viewers,where appropriate,look at Sky News,as it's live now!! Apparently,a second whale has been seen,at Southend-on-sea. I hope they end up okey.Reminds me of Hitchhiker...

View more questions Search