Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cubscoutmom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 02:29 AM
    One year on job & now employer conducting criminal check
    I've been on my job for over a year and now my employer asked me to fill out a criminal background check.. I have a felony from 21 years ago.. I omitted on my application that I ever had a arrest record.. what are my options.. go ahead and quit before I get fired? Will I be able to collect unemployment if I do get fired since I didn't fess up on my job application?. I feel guilty I didn't say anything.. but it was so long ago... a stupid mistake... being in with the wrong kind of company... I've never gotten to any trouble since... thanks in advance for your advices... I do appreciate it...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 02:35 AM
    I am hoping that others respond to your question. My first impulse would be to advise that you speak to your supervisor/boss about this. 21 years ago is a long time ago. You already have had the job for over a year. I hope that you have been really good at it and also made yourself indispensable. I wouldn't recommend quiting until you see what you supervisor/boss has to say.

Aug 22, 2007, 02:53 AM
    Thank you for your response.. as a matter of fact... I'm up for a promotion on my job.. the extra income would be great since I'm a single mother... I've been trying to do the right thing since my "incident" so many years ago... my sister did a background check and came up with nothing... but she had the wrong date of birth.. but the right social security numberl... no record was found... its it possible that my record could come up with the right date of birth? Or the social is all that is needed? Once again... I would greatly appreciate all advices...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hello mom:

It is ABSOLUTELY possible that they'll never find it. Shhhhhh!

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Don't risk it. Go to your immediate supervisor now and explain the circumstances. Tell the supervisor that when you filled out the job application, you didn't believe anything over 20 years ago still counted. But now, with this new request for a check you are concerned it may show up.

If your immediate supervisor likes you, they will run interference for you. But if you continue to hide it and it comes up, you could be immediately terminated for cause and that means no unemployment.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Scottgem is right, as usual. If you lied on your application then you can be fired for cause and be ineligible for unemployment benefits.

Talk to your supervisor. 21 years is a lifetime. It sounds like you are a great employee and I am sure they will work with you.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 22, 2007, 10:41 AM
    All of the posts provide valid advice. Could you perhaps hire a company to perform a thorough back ground check on yourself? If it doesn't show up, I would keep quiet. If on the subsequent check it somehow came up, you could claim that you were under the impression that the record had been expunged, and did not need to be reported.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Hello again, mom:

I'm not an advocate of lying about your record. But once you have done so, I don't see a benefit from throwing yourself on your sword.

What I would do, no matter how this works out, is get my offense pardoned or my record expunged. After 21 years, I'd go the pardon route. You'll need a lawyer.

Then you can look people in the eye and tell them that you have not been convicted of a felony.

excon

Aug 22, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Awesome... so many responses to my question.. I really do appreciate it... I'll share some news... I officially got my promotion today... I simply couldn't burst the bubble about my past... I'll face the music if anything pops up... I'll take the advice I didn't know I had to report it since it was so long ago... and see where it leads me... I'll keep you posted... thanks again...

Aug 22, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Oh... Thanks excon for the advice about how to take care of my record... It is duly noted... and will be acted upon.. :)

Sep 10, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Okay All...I did promise an update...well...The criminal background check came back clean..no records found....I'm so relieved....21 years is a long time ...I really didn't want to be judged on something I did so long ago & deeply regret...Thanks again to those who responded and gave me some good advice...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Glad to hear it worked out okay. Thanks for the update.
    Montessny Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 04:38 AM
    I thought most background checks didn't go back past seven years. I don't think something from 21 yrs ago should be a problem.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Montessny
    I thought most background checks didn't go back past seven years. I don't think something from 21 yrs ago should be a problem.
    You thought wrong. CREDIT checks generally only go back 7 years, but not criminal checks.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
    I agree with Clough's response. If you've proven yourself to be a worthy employee it's not likely that they'd fire you over something that happened 21 years ago, unless it is some type of government job that forbids employment of ex-felons under any conditions. If that's the case I find it surprising that they'd wait a year to do a background check.But speak with your supervisor pronto.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job doing background check [ 12 Answers ]

I recently was pressed with charges for theft under 5000. My job interviewer today asked if I had ever been convicted. I told her no. She's going to do a background check, and my court date is next week. The question: Will I still have a criminal record leading into the court or does it take...

New job doing a back round check [ 3 Answers ]

Well abouth a year ago I got arrested finger print and everything, but the charge was droped because no evidence. I have apply for a job and they love me they ask in the aplications if I have ever been convicted on a fellony or misterminer and if there was something that make the company believe I...

Can a misdemeanor from the past effect me now due to a criminal background check? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a misdemeanor for possession of marijauna. I had to seek a lawyer and go to court where the judge told me that I was on a year parole and if I didn't get into "trouble," the conviction would be expunged from my record. I am appyling for a job and want to know if this will appear on...

Employer is requiring us to be on the job 5 minutes early [ 9 Answers ]

Is it legal practice to have an employer require you to be on the job 5 minutes early? If they require it, should they not pay us for it? They are threatening to write us up if we fail to do so. We are in a union shop, but the elected union officials have absolutely NO idea what is going on. My...

Help please -I was CHARGED as a Criminal.. 'd/c &b [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to answer your post earlier but was unable to do so do so due to password problems. The local chapter of the Bar Association for your area should be able to tell you something about the attorney you have, at a minimun, whether that person is in good standing in the legal community. ...

View more questions Search