HANK :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2005, 03:04 PM
    No one knows Shirley.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 4, 2005, 09:04 AM
    Image of God
    In the bible we read a variety of things: first we were created in the IMAGE of God. Second, we read of people seeing God's hands, legs, feet, etc. Hearing his voice. Interestlingly, most christian religions take the bible to be very literal, yet on these ideas previously expressed, they don't take into account, which I neither say is good nor bad. However, if we were created in the image of God, look in the mirror. To say GOd has the shape of man, is by no means degrading our God. Look at it the other way, He is not the image of man, but we are the image of God. It shows how highly we, as His children, are looked upon in his eyes. Christ himself stood on the right hand of God in Stephen's vision before his death in Acts. I must say I have never seen God, but many people have, including jacob who wrestled with God, Moses spoke with God face to face as he would with another man. (I can give yo scriptural references in a future reply if you want them.) It all points to what the image of God is.
    The Independent Gardener Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Oct 11, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Look in the mirror indeed
    The God of The Bible was created in the minds of the people who told the stories that eventually became the Bible and they created him in their image. I suspect that most of those who believe in a single god have an image of a god that is similar to their image rather than Jaba the Hud.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Oct 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    No one knows Shirley.
    ... or it is what you imagine to be.
    Pale White Skin Posts: 93, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 10:22 PM
    Ereht si on dog
    Gguru Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Wouldn't you know...
    I guess , Hank , that you would know that, as anybody else would know...

God is supposed to be universal and there is no one on this planet who could claim knowing what he is looking like.

Apart from that,I must say , that there is no God at all.
    So,its no surprise at all , that nobody knows what God looks like...

Love!

Oct 26, 2005, 07:59 AM
    You can't prove to me there is no God. Where's your evidence? I want substantial proof of your opinion. Your definition of God as Universal is also so general it's wrong. A lot of religions in the world believe in more than just some random universal being.

Oct 26, 2005, 09:50 AM
    proof
    Hi SSchultz0956!

First of all Id say , don't mention proof in cases one has no alternative proof.
    Secondly , as you stated yourself , there are many versions of God,which in itself imply that there can't be proof for all these creations of the mind.
    Remaining of course the proposition,that one of the "known" alternatives must be right or an additional one.

Let me opt for the additional alternative one:there is no God.

So at least , if bringing proof into play at this point , we are even.

In my experiences in life I discovered the power of Life itself.That is the source of Life,which is in every living being.You can work together with your source of Life.
    Your source of Life will work on your behalve and your wishes and will make them come true.
    Even,one can practice using the power of your Life source directly.E.g. it is possible to move the clouds and let the sun shine just by directing the power of Life to that goal.(I can manage that if nature isn't too wild).
    Many things ,which we think,being beyond our control or influence are ascribed to ( a) God,but in fact we can influence far more things consciously using the power of Life itself.Preferably all together,because we all = one and the power of more Life-sources is bigger than just one alone.

The power of Life itself is not almighty and it never does any harm or anything in the field of punishment.

Creation is no issue.
    Its all about nature and we are part of it.
    Universe is eternal,infinite and has been there always and will be for ever.

We should live to our potential ,acknowledging the potential of Life itself and accepting our limitations,without transferring or projecting them to phantasies like (any) God.

Living positive lives,our source of Life,which is in us, will work for us to its potential.
    Any negativity will block this connection,because our energy will be pointed to and consumed by fixing that.
    So , live a positive life acknowledging your Life-source and accepting the remaining limitations.

Love!

Oct 26, 2005, 10:33 AM
    Since you don't believe in God and yo said,
    Universe is eternal,infinite and has been there always and will be for ever.
    You are neither a beleiver in science nor religion, what are you, a fish?

First of all, yes, you have no proof, second, my proof is everything around us. Question (though seemingly childish, humor me): Do you know what salt tastes like? If so, explain to me it's taste.

Oct 26, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Philosophy
    I guess,I am no longer talking to you.

I could ne a fish as well...

Ill inform the webauthorities here about your insulting behaviour.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2005, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SSchultz0956
    Since you don't believe in God and yo said,

you are neither a beleiver in science nor religion, what are you, a fish?

First of all, yes, you have no proof, second, my proof is everything around us. Question (though seemingly childish, humor me): Do you know what salt tastes like? If so, explain to me it's taste.
    The part that you quoted about the universe could be related to science could it not? I'm in Gguru's camp, our proof is all around us too.
    I could also say to you: describe the colour "red"? What the hell does that prove?

Your blind faith makes discussion impossible.

Oct 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
    First of all Needkarma, answer the question and maybe you'll find out.
    Second, the universe being eternal is not science, the word universe is, but the sentence changes it completely. I'm sorry guru is offended by a question. It's not really my problem. NEEDKARMA humor me, explain to me what salt tastes like and maybe you'll see my point? Or don't answer it and be left in the dark.

Oct 26, 2005, 11:41 AM
    The color red can't be defined by words alone, just like you can't tell me what salt tastes like. We don't know what something is until we experience it. I can't define God nor can anyone else, it's only experienced, and with that I hope you someday experience God too. It's the only way to know he's there, and it can't be explained much more than that.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
    We don't know what something is until we experience it.
    That sounds an awful lot like the scientific process.
    I can't define God nor can anyone else, it's only experienced, and with that I hope you someday experience God too. It's the only way to know he's there, and it can't be explained much more than that.
    And since there is no proof it's an issue of faith. I'm happy you have found something that makes you happy and comforts you.
    The Independent Gardener Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2005, 03:34 PM
    My god is better than your god
    You say that everything around us is proof there is a god. It is really only proof that there is everything around us and even that can be questioned.

What is it that we are perceiving as this life, really? We discovered that we are made up of atoms which are mostly space. Oh, sorry, I think science is now looking at tiny wiggling threads to describe what we are made of, we and all matter, I think. Science may at some time in the future peer around the curtain and learn something beyond our perception though I doubt it. We don’t even know what our being really is. It could be something similar to a video game, just a series of sensations that we, in some existence outside our perception, have subscribed to. Imagine jumping into a video game and being the “person” in the game. In that imagination the creator would be the creator of the game. It could be a single entity or a committee or a whole species in some other world. Whatever has brought us into being is not known.

This thread is asking for a description of god not a justification for god. Believe that this life as we know it could not have come into being without a creator. I fine belief that I subscribe to myself. But even if that belief is true and there is a creator, the existence of a creator does not describe the creator.

You can take the Old Testament view (a view conjured up about 2500 years ago by people who thought the earth was flat and that it was the center of the universe) or you can do some serious thinking about the question. Perhaps you will come up with a new idea that will make more sense to us here at the beginning of the 21st millennium.

Whatever you choose, it will be an idea, a thought, a belief, a faith but what it will definitely not be, no matter how strongly you believe it, is a fact. If everyone in the world right now could suddenly understand the difference between belief and reality, conflict around the world would end. Wouldn’t that be wonderful? Just imagine Osama bin Laden suddenly saying, “You know, my religion may not be the only way. It is just my belief. Look at all the people out there who believe differently. Who am I to say they are wrong and I am right?”

Ah, well, we can dream, can’t we?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2005, 06:08 AM
    What's He look like.
    Hi, Hank,
    You post some very interested posts; and really get people thinking.
    God looks like what each individual wants Him to be, if they are a Christian. If they are not a Christian, then they will not know what God is, how He might look to them; because God only answers prayers from a Christian. (from the New Testament).
    There is only one God, as stated in the Pledge of Allegiance, saying "under God"... not Gods.
    If one doesn't believe in God, as other posts have stated, they are lost... completely and utterly lost. They will never know the peace and what God is, does, and what He can do. There isn't much time for those people, because death can come at any time, and they will then never know.
    Prayer is the most powerful force in the world, but only if it comes from a Christian, Baptized into Jesus Christ.
    What does God look like? Whatever you wish Him to look like. I see God in other Christian's eyes, in what they say, and how they act.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, Hank,
    If one doesn't believe in God, as other posts have stated, they are lost...completely and utterly lost.
    Well that's your opinion and you seem to be quite narrow minded.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 06:48 AM
    I'm sorry if I appear to be too cold about this, but the question cannot be answered. To see something means to identify it by sight. God cannot be seen.

Isn't it like asking if the color red is hot or cold?

... and same thing goes for a definition of God. Our finite language cannot even begin to define an infinite thing.

For God, we can come close to defining Him as Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent and Eternal... but even that falls short as we cannot even dream of picturing these things in our minds.

Oct 27, 2005, 10:01 AM
    I'm sorry if I appear to be too cold about this, but the question cannot be answered. To see something means to identify it by sight. God cannot be seen.
    Actually, if we base it off the bible, many people have seen God and identified him by sight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search