Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dj1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:51 PM
    New vanity: trap won't reach wall drain stub
    We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one.

Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion of the p-trap with the wall extension tube. They are offset horizontally by about 1 inch.

What can I use to make this work? The local home center sells drain pieces with flexible sections, including a p-trap with a flex section. Is this a good idea to use?

Here's a photo of the problem:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
    It looks like all of the joints are glued, so I can't tell you exactly what to do. It you can remove the present trap you can buy an extension that will make a new trap com out from the wall far enough but that does not compensate for the offset. I don't think you have room to use an offset tailpiece, so I suggest that you use the flexible p-trap.
    dj1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Thanks.

The current trap is not glued - it is just loosely put into place. The only glued stuff is in the wall stub itself, and the threaded connector on the end of the wall stub. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the wall extension tube is long enough, just does not reach over far enough.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1234
    We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one.

Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion of the p-trap with the wall extension tube. They are offset horizontally by about 1 inch.

What can I use to make this work? The local home center sells drain pieces with flexible sections, including a p-trap with a flex section. Is this a good idea to use?

Here's a photo of the problem:
    You're not off far enough to be concerned. Click on, Tubular Products from the PlumbingStore
    And check out the flexible trap and extension, (see images). You could cut back the chrome tail piece and use the extension or change the trap. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation drain stub out [ 1 Answers ]

Can you attach a 3/4" condensation drain to a utility sink on a 2" circuit vented drain? I'm specifically concerned with the code that says "all fixtures will attach individually and horizontally to the building drain".

Outgoing Drain Behind Vanity Cabinet Not Aligned with Sink Drain Tube in New Sinktop [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new vanity cabinet and new marble vanity top, both slightly larger than the originals. The problem we've encountered is that the drainage pipe that will exit sink water from the sink to the house -- the PVC pipe in the house/wall -- is not aligned with the new location of the sink...

Stub out broke off in wall [ 1 Answers ]

Caan some one help me, I was changing the shower head, and then thought I should change the neck out. When removing the neck I thought it came out to easy. When I looked inside the wall about a quarter inch was still stuck in.. How can I fix this problem with out removing any tiles... ...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Stub out to tailpiece drain connection [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing a bathtub on a slab in a one story house. The cutout and stub is already there. I removed the old PVC fittings and lead in the stub out. The connection dimensions for the new tub drain are a little different from the old tub. What kind of PVC fitting do I put in...

View more questions Search