Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shivac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Overheated Trane 1200 Compressor
    We have a two-zoned central AC units. The compressor for the upstairs zone works normal. We are having problem with the downstair unit. The compressor some times does not start and some times trips the breaker switch. After replacing the breaker switch (40 Amps) it was running and cooling fine for 2-3 days. This morning I heard it was making a strange screeching noise while it stopped. It was super heated and I felt hot air coming out of it even when it was not running. So I turned it off. Please tell me what might be the reason for the compressor to be hot when it is not running. Is it safe to turn back on?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2005, 06:24 PM
    Could be a bearing going bad in the compressor. After it runs for a while, it heats up and binds. If so, the compressor will have to be replaced. I would largely depend on the theor zone over the weekend, and call a service man Monday. You might try running it short periods, giving it time to cool between. I don't think there is any field servicing of compressors. I doubt you can damage it further, and the new breaker should limit damage to anything else.
    Shivac Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Thanks Labman
    I have turned off the system and waiting for a service man on Monday.
    I appreciate your quick response.
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Could be a bearing going bad in the compressor. After it runs for a while, it heats up and binds. If so, the compressor will have to be replaced. I would largely depend on the theor zone over the weekend, and call a service man Monday. You might try running it short periods of time, giving it time to cool between. I don't think there is any field servicing of compressors. I doubt you can damage it further, and the new breaker should limit damage to anything else.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 29, 2005, 07:06 PM
    Bad condenser fan motor

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Packard Bell Diamond 1200 plus flat bed scanner [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have one of the above scanners. Since I upgraded to Windows Xp Pro I cannot get it to scan. When I look in System Manager it says that the scanner is installed OK and the icon shows on the My Computer screen Is this a problem with my scanner or my USB installation? Anybody any ideas or...

Overheated motor even when off [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I have three Hampton Bay 52" fans in my lanai. They are three years old. Recently, one stopped working but the light kit functioned properly. I thought the switch has most likely worn out. Upon reaching up to begin disassembly, I discovered the motor and fan blade connections were so hot...

Trane A/C Handler [ 2 Answers ]

The blower makes a slight noise, almost rattling. I looked at the blower unit and it has the part number M412TB31V. Now I'm not sure if that's just the wheel, motor or both the motor and wheel. I would like to replace the motor and wheel, as I can't determine exactly where the noise is coming...

Trane 500 AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 10 year old central AC and it started to do this split second double start, then it runs just fine cooling the house. What do you think it is? Mike

Packard bell diamond 1200 plus scanner won't install [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have a Packard bell diamond 1200 scanner plus and when I tried to install it the other day it said it couldn't verify it certificate and continuing with the installation could destabilize and impar my computer, the thing is that I installed it before and its worked fine but I don't know why it...

View more questions Search