Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Aug 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Getting a passport for my son
    My son is 8 years old right now. I was thinking about getting him a passport in about a year. I have sole legal and physical custody of my son. Would I still need the father to either go along with me or sign something saying that he gives his consent?

Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 02:57 PM
    If you can provide the court order showing that you have sole custody, the father is not required to appear or give consent.

From http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html:

(for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 , or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent) or

3. One parents appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

-Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    -Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    -Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order); or
    -Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent); or
    -Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child; or
    -Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    -Death certificate of non-applying parent.

If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent/guardian should submit a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 .
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Aug 21, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Thanks - that helps a lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a passport [ 1 Answers ]

My passport recently got damaged and in order for me to renew it they told me I need my origial brith certificate! I was born in Wien Austria and I moved to the states when I was 7 months old. I became a citizen as soon as my parents obtained there citizenship in austria rto come to the U.S If I...

Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Are convicted felons granted passports

Passport [ 2 Answers ]

I am going abroad in February and need to find out what steps do I take to change my passport to my new married name. I do not have much time to get this done since I just found out about this trip. Thanks for any information. PatS

View more questions Search