Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singlehdcp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 02:28 PM
    This old plumbing
    Hi All,
    I have a home built in 1938 and the shower has 4 faucets. Two for mixing the tub and two for the shower. The hot water is leaking and I think it needs a washer. I cannot figure, out how to take this apart. I get 4 pieces off and now its just the stem and I don't want to break the stem. How do I get that stem off or change the washer?

Regards,
    Charles
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2007, 02:44 PM
    There's a nut holding the stem and washer assembly,(the bonnet packing nut). Unscrew the nut and back the assembly our counterclockwise. Good luck, Tom

Aug 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    There's a nut holding the stem and washer assembly,(the bonnet packing nut). Unscrew the nut and back the assembly our counterclockwise. Good luck, Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the advice. What type of tool would I need as the stem goes into the wall. Also do you thing it's the washer?

Regards,
    Chuck
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2007, 10:02 AM
    A deep socket wrench should reach the bonnet packing nut. The washer should be replaced along with checking the seat for nicks and rough spots. If you find any the seat should be replaced also. Good luck, Tom

Aug 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Hi Tom,
    You are a great deal of help. Does the stem screw out be turing counter clockwise. By the way I am a computer geek so I would be happy to help you with any computer, wireless network issues.
    Regards,
    Chuck
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Thanks Chuck,
    The stem and washer assembly will back out counterclockwise. I'm getting the "blue Screen of Death" a lot of the time lately. Rebooting always gets me back but what's the cause/ Regards, Tom

Aug 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Hi Tom,

Your blue screen could be many htings. What is your operating system? Are you running anti virus? Have you installed any new hardware or software?
    It sund like a memroy IRQ conflict. Does the screen have writing on it and says IRQ no less or greater?

I can always connect to your machine remotly if need be,

I also just bought Tub and SHower Valve wrenches. It still won't budge. I have WD40 on it now.

Crazy

Aug 22, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Cannot budge the fixture. It is imovable
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Aug 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
    WD-40 is good, there's stuff called PB-Blaster that's significantly better.

Either way, keep sprayin and prayin... it will come out eventually.

BEFORE you apply major (like, possibly breaking the fixture) force to it, take a look at the backside of where the shower is etc, since that's what you're going to have to open it up when you break it.

~aaron
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by singlehdcp
    cannot budge the fixture. it is imovable
    These are brass to brass threads so they don't rust. Shut the water off and back the stem out a turn or two. Now try it. Let me know. As for the computer, I'm running XPPro with a gig of memory and all kinds of applications to keep me running. Thanks for your offer but I have a puter whiiz living behind me. The blue screen doesn't pop up enough to be a major concern. When it does, I'll jerk his chain. He still owes me one from the time I
    Augured his toilet. Cheers, Tom

Aug 23, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Normally,
    A blue screen indicates and memeory conflict. If you have upgraded memeory after the fax. That would be it. There are so mony flavors they don't get along and cause a memorydump. Also one of your softward programs may be curpted. Outllok data base is common. What toer programs do you run besides Microsoft Office? I worked for IBM, EMC, Compacq and now I have moy own company
    Byte IT Consulting.

Let me know

Aug 23, 2007, 05:37 AM
    The nut won't budge and I is mostly stripped. Now what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing [ 4 Answers ]

How do shower diverters work

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

What causes a hammer knock at the water tank. It occurs periodically for unknown reasons.

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

We have replaced our holding tank and hot water tank in our house and we are having a problem with air in the pipes or something. When the water is running, the water starts to spurt out. I am wondering if we have a problem with our well?

Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a basement floor drain which is clogged. Had a plumber try to clear the drain with power snake, however, was only able to partially unclog. The drain handles my furnace; water softener and water heater. The plumber says that the drain pipe is galvanized or iron and is most likely corroded...

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering layout options for a small loft in NYC I would like to rearrange bathroom to creats a back hall. To do so I wish to Remove tub to a nes location.. and 'flip' ex. Toilet and sine- east west... not One for the other As I have a complete in the floor drain line for toilet and...

View more questions Search