Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dev45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Computer does not turn on?
    My Compaq presario 2100 and a while ago I got the power plug fixed and the battery did not charge so I bought a new battery after I installed the new power port and I put the battery in to the computer and it charged and the next day I was ripping music on to it and the icon that was supposed to be the charging icon but it was on battery icon and I unplugged the power cord and pluged it back in and it stayed on battery icon so I took the battery out and plugged
    The power cord in with out the battery and tried to turn it on and it the power button flashed and went off I did it again and the same thing happened so I took it apart and looked at the plug and I plugged it back in while apart and it smoked and smelt like electrical fire so I unplugged it and looked inside and nothing looked burnt but it won't come on any more can
    Someone help me?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
    I would remove battery, and have unplugged, clean any dark or smoke coating on board,
    I would suspect power jack first. I don't think computer is damaged yet. Power seems like it is shorting before computer.
    A quick story: Someone threw out a Laptop, Wouldn't power up. Power supply had a green light. Didn't have voltage at end of plug. I unplugged from wall, cut off end plug that goes into computer, Had voltage(bad plug end), went to Radio Shack, bought plug and Ferrite(to replace ferrite and plug, I removed). Plugged in, works great.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Site wouldn't let me email back. Voltmeter will help you trace to failure, worse case, hard drive can be removed, put in case, and be external drive, you will still have your info.
    I would remove battery, then start dissassembly of everything, only as far as you can put back together. If it smoked, you should see signs. A wire or a connection can smoke, be repaired and work again. Don't scrap yet. It may have hope.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer does not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have had a problem for the last month, my PC does not turns on when I plug it in electricity. It turns on the fan, but it does not start when I push the start button. After pushing the starting button a few times and waiting from 5 to 30min it works fine. Once I take the plug off, and on...

Change my Turn Off Computer dialog box on XP [ 3 Answers ]

I have XP Pro on both my desk computer and my Toshiba Tecra laptop. The shutdown dialog boxes are not the same. I like the one on my desk computer which says: "Shutdown Windows"... "What do you want the computer to do?" The laptop dialog says" "Turn off computer" and show 3 icons. Both computers...

Can't turn off computer: dwwin.exe-dll initalization failed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I need help I can't turn off computer I get this message Dwwin.exe-dll initalization failed The application fail to inilalze because the window station is shutting down And please help and I need step by step help because I am not to good at thiscomputer stuff And thank you listing...

Computer beeps when turn... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello every body, how are you guys doing. I am new here, so please forgive and forget my mistakes. My question is that, when I boot up my PC, it beeps couple of times and shows nothing on monitor, infect monitor goes off after 2-3 seconds, I can hear the voice from the tower that it's running,...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

View more questions Search