Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluenote Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Is it depression
    What are the symptoms and how do you know if you have it and how severe it is.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 21, 2007, 11:51 AM
    NIMH: Depression

Try this site.

Hope this helps.

deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Aug 25, 2007, 03:59 PM
    If you've lost all interest in the things you used to do, you have a feeling of ongoing hopelessness, think about suicide at times, have a change in your normal sleep pattern (either sleep more or sleep less), & this has gone on for more than a couple of weeks, then you might have clinical depression. Maybe you should consult a doctor.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Speaking out of experience, severe symptoms are drowsiness, nausea , lack of energy, loss of appetite and the list can go on

Sep 2, 2007, 09:18 PM
    OK... so I'm going through all of that... but my parents don't believe me they say it's a phase... I've tried talking to them about it. Can you go to the docter by yourself if your under 18 and have it be confidencial?
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Sep 2, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Here's my honest opinion.
    Most parents are not helpful with depression
    A lot of them think "my childs just being silly"
    Or "its just a phase, its just teenage angst"
    You can go to your gp, counciller(schools have them) youth organisations exist in most areas for that exact purpose
    Confidentiality is maintained by law unless
    1# your life is at risk
    2# there's risk of you harming others
    Trusted friends, councillerrs. Health professionals, pastors/community leaders, youth organisations, phone numbers all provide help.
    My parents laugh at me whenever I try to tell them something, so don't always expect parents to be helpful during teen years. A lot of the time, they simply don't understand.

Sep 2, 2007, 11:26 PM
    I've made friends with my councelers and pastors, my friends already know. I guess I'm not comfortable going to people who know me.

What I'm wondering is can I go to my family phisician about this and use the meeting on my familys insurance and remain confidential?

Sep 2, 2007, 11:32 PM
    The people who know you, who are your friends, are the ones who care most!
    And confidentiality applies no matter what, unless you break the two danger criteria (ie if you going to suicide or hurt someone else)
    Though I guess it may be tricky to keep the fact that you had a meeting secret if its costing your family money
    But what goes on in the meeting is confidential.
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Sep 3, 2007, 06:15 PM
    If you have to ask what depression is, you are probably not depressed.
    Its like saying, how do I know if someone stabs me with a butcher knife?

Sep 3, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Wrong snakebite.
    Some people can be depressed and not know
    Some can not be depressed and just think they are
    It has a set of symptoms yeah, but its not obvious until you take the effort to check your symptoms against the symptoms of depression.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 4, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Bluenote, if you had a chance to read the information on the link I sent with my last post, you should have noted that it is important for you to get help and support from your family. Therefore it is important for you to get an evaluation to first - see if you are indeed depressed, and second - that your family supports you in your efforts to get treated.

Confidentiality is important in that while your are receiving treatment that what is revealed and worked on stays with you and one other.. But confidentiality in keeping your illness (if evaluation proves you have depression) a 'secret' from your family would be very counterproductive.

So, from the site's article:
    How Family and Friends Can Help the Depressed Person

The most important thing anyone can do for the depressed person is to help him or her get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment. This may involve encouraging the individual to stay with treatment until symptoms begin to abate (several weeks), or to seek different treatment if no improvement occurs. On occasion, it may require making an appointment and accompanying the depressed person to the doctor. It may also mean monitoring whether the depressed person is taking medication. The depressed person should be encouraged to obey the doctor's orders about the use of alcoholic products while on medication. The second most important thing is to offer emotional support. This involves understanding, patience, affection, and encouragement. Engage the depressed person in conversation and listen carefully. Do not disparage feelings expressed, but point out realities and offer hope. Do not ignore remarks about suicide. Report them to the depressed person's therapist. Invite the depressed person for walks, outings, to the movies, and other activities. Be gently insistent if your invitation is refused. Encourage participation in some activities that once gave pleasure, such as hobbies, sports, religious or cultural activities, but do not push the depressed person to undertake too much too soon. The depressed person needs diversion and company, but too many demands can increase feelings of failure.
    Do not accuse the depressed person of faking illness or of laziness, or expect him or her "to snap out of it." Eventually, with treatment, most people do get better. Keep that in mind, and keep reassuring the depressed person that, with time and help, he or she will feel better.
    Print it out or suggest the site to your parents and just plain out ask them to let you get an evaluation.. That would be the first step.

Good luck,

SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Sep 4, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    wrong snakebite.
    some people can be depressed and not know
    some can not be depressed and just think they are
    it has a set of symptoms yeah, but its not obvious until you take the effort to check your symptoms against the symptoms of depression.
    Have you ever been depressed? I am depressed right now. And I have never been diagnosed. Everybody that experiences depression can have different symptoms. Its not the exactly the same for everyone.

Sep 7, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Yes, I have snakebite, I have been for a year and a half, and am still battling it.
    I have researched it extensivly through books, friends with depression, and on many trusted sites on the internet, and there is a list of symptoms, which people each have a varying number and selection of those symptoms. So duh, its not exactly the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Her Depression has gotten the best of us. [ 3 Answers ]

... I am very shy about this, but here goes: I have been in a monogomous relationship for 10 and 1/2 years. We began dating when she was 20 and I was 19, and we went through all of the usual steps: we both lived with our parents, then alone individually, then (as of 4 years ago) together. For...

Depression, why? [ 5 Answers ]

OK I've been feeling a little down lately, I'm thinking it was because of me yelling at my g/f then she goes and says its because of her and I think it's a combination of stuff, I'm thinking it might be caused by my absence of bowling, I've been bowling for like 6 years now and I haven't bowled in...

Is This Depression? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there. For 6 months now I have been feeling strange... I have been suffering a loooong sinus infection as told by the doctor but nooo meds helped. Then I started getting incredibly tired and started losing my interest in almost everything. I also got engaged to the person who I neeeever...

Depression [ 4 Answers ]

Name some of the pro's and con's of lifestyle changes verses medication in the treatment of depression?

Depression [ 31 Answers ]

I've suffered from depression for 4years and its getting to the stage of not coping! There are many causes of this and seeing a counselor didn't seem to help. Anti-depressants just seem to mask the symptoms, any suggestions? Please help can't cope anymore?

View more questions Search