Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ali2007 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Is this slander
    I wrote the following letter to a neighbour after she took me to court for racism. It was totally untrue and I didn't win my appeal either. This neighbour made my life a misery for 2 years. I bit my lip for so long.
    After receiving a criminal record now, I wrote the letter but also sent it to our other 7 neighbours so they know the truth.

Dear...

It would appear to others that you got a good result in court and that the result is the truth, but personally I don’t believe for a minute that you are proud of your lies and actions. You couldn’t drop it because you didn’t want others to think you had lied. I can sleep at night knowing the truth, can you?

It is you, my former friend, who lies because you are weak. It is you who looks in the mirror and dislikes what she sees. People who lie, live in fear, are unethical and have no values or self respect.

I assure you from this point on that it is you who will pay the price in the long term for your actions, without any input from me.

I have a good life, a supportive family and good friends who believe in me. I have never seen you with any.

I wish you all the best in your future having to face up to yourself.

Is this slander?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
    It just seems like a rant that won't make you look any better.

Why throw fuel on a fire, anyway?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ali2007
    Is this slander?
    Hello ali:

Nope.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
    You called this person a liar in writing. Unless you can prove it (and since you lost your court case, I doubt if you can), it would be libel (not slander).

I am curious about something. You say you got a criminal record after being taking to court for racism. As far as I'm aware, racisim is actually not illegal. Discrimination due to race is. So what really happened here?

Aug 21, 2007, 11:11 AM
    That is the truth. I have criminal record for being racist. But it is not a prison offence.
    I unfortunately from the beginning admitted to calling her a fat cow after she called me a single whie female with nasty blonde hair. I reported this 9 time and asked for action against her but nothing was done. She has used a sysem to work in her favour. I would assume that the court believed there was a chane I could have said it as I admitted to the calling something else.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Let me get this straight, you have a criminal record for calling someone a fat cow? Sorry but I don't believe it. Especially if she is overweight. There has to be more to this.

And how is that racist? Cows are not a protected class (except maybe in India), neither are obese people.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:19 AM
    I admitted to caling her a fat cow and not what she suggetsed which was a fat black As I admitted to insulting her of some sort they obviously believed her claim that there was a possibility that I called her what she has said.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
    What were you found guilty of exactly?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Hello again, ali:

Even if you admitted to calling her a fat cow, that's not illegal.

excon

Aug 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Ok, so she said you called her a fat black cow and you claimed you didn't use black. Are you saying a criminal prosecutor actually took this case before a jury? I can't believe a prosecutor would waste the courts time with that. I can see a civil action, but not a criminal one. What state was this?

Aug 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Sorry keyboard playing up. She told the police I called her a fat black . I told them that in fact she was racist towards me for saying I was a single white female with nasty blonde hair, but they did nothing for me.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
    I keep writing the word B@'ch but it doesn't allow the word. It wasn't cow
    This was in england in hertforshire who are very hot on Political correctness
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
    No freedom of speech?

Aug 21, 2007, 11:32 AM
    They believed her claim over mine.

Is the letter I sent slanderous?
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Just write it and don't mail it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
    It is not slanderous, as slander is the spoken word. It is, however, lible, as lible is the written word.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:37 AM
    No, slander is spoken, Libel is written. It would be considered libel. You called her a liar in written. According to a court she didn't lie so you have no proof that she did.

Maybe they do things very differently across the pond, but I really find it hard to believe a prosecutor wasted the court's time on this. It really doesn't matter what exact words you used so you called her a obese female canine (in less polite words). What material harm did she suffer because of it?

Aug 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Emland - I have already posted it through neighbours doors

J-9 - how seroius is 'Lible' ?

Aug 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Scottgem - I agree - it was a waste of court time, the CSP thought they had a case but even when it was proved that she had insulted me in my appeal, the crown court still went with the decision of the magistrates. I feel there is no justice. Police with held stuff that supported my claim and the court seem to side with police unfortunately.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Libel and slander are analogous. They both are against the law as defamation. They differ in the form of the defamation where slander is oral and libel is written. That's why what you say doesn't make sense. Even if you did call her an obese ebony female canine, I can't understand a criminal prosecution for it. I would assume that the obese ebony part could be shown to be true. And referring to someone as a female canine, while obviously not true, is a common enough insult so it wouldn't be considered slander. I would reall like to know what actual law was violated by this. And what prosecutor wasted a court's time on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassment /slander [ 1 Answers ]

I had a magazine write a story from my estranged husband, which was all lies, and I'm in court matters with ref him divorce/ injunctions and they gave all my details out in the magazine wher I lived my name pictures! They did not get in contact with myself1 to get my side of anything I feel I'm in...

Criticism vs slander [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between legitimate criticism and slander?

Can I sue for slander? [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings... I am a small business owner who has been slammed by a TV news "jourlanlist" and it is VERY bad. He made comments and statements that are not only inaccurate, but downright LIES! Do I have ANY hope of sueing for any damages at all? Please help, this could ruin my business! Thank...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search