Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armskt Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Different career
    What different between a physician or licensed nurse?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
    A physician is a doctor and a licensed nurse is a nurse. There are many levels of nurses all the way from LPN, to RN and up.

Now, are you talking a Certified Nurse Practitioner? If so, that is a different animal. In many places a Nurse Practitioner has the same responsibilities as a doctor, i.e. writing prescriptions, however the nurse practitioner has to work under the license of a doctor.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Amount of student loans?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 11:11 AM
    About 4 years of schooling and internship/residency. Also a nurse cannot prescribe medication and there are many procedures a nurse cannot legally do.
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Nurse Practitioners can in fact prescribe medication, however, they work under a doctor's license.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Yes, in my doctors office I don't believe I have acually seen my doctor in 2 or 3 years, we see nurse practitioners who examine us, prescribe our medication and treat us.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Nurse Practitioners can in fact prescribe medication, however, they work under a doctor's license.
    Yes, but isn't an NP a step up from a Registered Nurse? Which is a step up from an LPN?
    Expert

Aug 22, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Scott, an NP is a really really BIG step up from an RN, whereas an RN is only a medium step up from an LPN. And an LPN is a small step up from CNA.

In many states it is being mandated that NPs now go through medical school, just like a doctor, to get the title of NP, so why not just get the title of MD.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Oct 30, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Here in Illinois, many physician's offices employ Physicians Assistants - they do exams, take blood, do all the day-to-day stuff but the physician has to sign off on any prescriptions. As I understand it, only two years are required beyond a four-year degree (that's what the PA who used to do my physical exams told me). So that might be an option to consider if you want to get into the medical field but can't afford the cost or time of getting a full-blown nursing or medical degree.

There are also medical technician degrees and certificates, many of them doable in two years (depending on your college major). For these options as well as the Physicians Assistant, check your local community colleges as well as four year institutions.

Vasily
    OnYxHaWk Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
    The qualifications and requirements for PAs (physician assistants) and NP (nurse practitioners) is getting stricter. PAs now require 4 years after college (2 years of lectures/didactics and 2 years of clinical experience with clearkships/rotations), though it should be noted that not all PA schools require a college degree, if you take the required courses you can get into PA school without actually earning your bachelors degree. NP training is moving towards being a PhD level of training, and I can see it becoming that in the next few years as opposed to a masters level as it is now (much like pharmacy is now a doctorate level degree instead of a masters level like it was 10 years ago).

As J_9 mentioned, NP's can prescribe medication, both 'regular' and narcotic, but they are typically prescribing associated with a physician/doctor's licence. This also applies to PAs.

These practitioners vary in their experience and training, and a lot of times NPs have a lot of background experience as RNs prior to pursuing further training, whereas the PAs might have only the clinical training from their clinical rotations/clerkships. But once again, this is not a rule, just an observation.

Physicians, also referred to as doctors, medical doctor (MD, allopathic) or doctor of osteopathy (DO, osteopathic) typically undergo 4-years of medical school and then 3-10 years of post-medical school training (depending on their speciality) before they can practice.

Each of these practitioners need to take a licencing exam after their training to verify that they have a basic level of competency prior to being able to practice, so you can feel confident that they are able to address you health care needs.

Hope this helps.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
    About $50,000 a year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Career help. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm junior at the University.and my subjects are Psychology,marketing,economics,accounting.I want to bean administrative manager.I need guidance like what major should I take? Like should I go in to Finance, Marketing or etc? Thanks.

IT career [ 4 Answers ]

How would you go about starting a career working in help desk ? What is the starting salary? How long does it take to move between levels?

Career help [ 3 Answers ]

I'm working as a support executive. I want to know how is the career growth in this field. Please reply

View more questions Search