Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Pella skylights
    If they ever leak, can you remove the frame from the housing and replace/repair it without disturbing the roof? A roofing contractor is pointing out that they will eventually leak, and it would be a good idea to replace them along with the roof. I have no doubt about them eventually leaking, but wonder if it could be fixed without disturbing the roof. I think he is trying to pull a CYA at the customer's expense or just running up the bill.

I have 2 other quotes on the roof and the contractors didn't say anything about the skylights. There are 8 of them for a total of $4,800.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
    I think this guy is trying to run up the bill, and as you suggest CYA in case there's a problem with his installation. Most skylight leaks aren't due to a faulty skylight, but rather to a bad installation of the unit or the flashing around it. I just replaced the roof on my house, which has 6 skylights, all about 13 years old, and none of the guys who gave me an estimate mentioned any possible leak issue. This was last fall, and so far they still work great.

If you eventually do need to replace the skylight, some relatively minor disturbance of the roof is required - as the flashing around the skylight extends out several inches under the surrounding shingles. So you would have to pull back all the shingles around the skylight during removal and replacement. Not a huge deal, especially if you have a typical asphalt shingle roof. If you have something more exotic (slate?) it may be a little more complicated. So unless you have a problem with the skylights now, I wouldn't change them out.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 21, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Hey labman, pella has flashing kits for those and as far as fixing leaks you would have to pull up some shingles ,but this is not a major job here at all. To fix one it may take 35 to 45 minutes to do. That's a carpenter doing it, if I was a roofer id hope to do better than that, it does sound as if he's trying to add a little work on here,

As far as the others not mentioning it, they may have noticed it but just felt like it wasn't an issue right now. I feel that your roofer may be a little shady, id wonder also if you don't do it like he's asking to. If after he's gone a leak might apear. If it does you know he'll bring this back up and charge you more,
    Be careful. Id ask the other roofers if they noticed anything, but id becareful with anyone who wants to fix something that's not broke,
    Something's like rooten wood I can see , but to fix things because one day they might leak is another.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Has anybody read the question? I am not talking about leaks around the skylight, but the skylight leaking between the glass and frame. Can that frame be removed without removing the housing anchored in the roof
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 21, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Yes I read that . All the ones I've replaced, regardless of where the leak is, whether it's the flashing or seal. We replace the hole thing. I don't know your model of pella skylight it may have a detachable face to it, but I've not seen one

If it isn't detachable I don't see a way to do that without removing shingles, but if done correctly the shingles can be put right back

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Pella window [ 5 Answers ]

My church has a couple broken Pella windows. They are the casement type, aluminum clad, a single pane of glass plus a storm window with a wood grid between. Is there any taking them apart and replacing the glass, or do I pay a Pella authorized technician to replace the whole sash? Remember, I am...

Efficiency of Skylights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question concerning the efficiency of skylights other than for some extra light in some rooms that would ordinarily be too dark and/or for aesthetic value. Any of the skylights I've seen used in main living areas seem to serve most efficiently as heaters... in the summer. Therefore, I...

View more questions Search