Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    potsieweebie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Installed thermostat, then A/C unit stopped working
    We just moved into our new home. Noticed the A/C went on all day, non-stop even though it was set on auto at 77 degrees. Figured the thermostat was broken, so decided to replace old one with Honeywell 5-2. Mapped it just like the 4-wiring old one, Y-G-W-R. Red wire on old thermostat was wired to Rc, not Rh, so that's what I did. However, I did take out the jumper between Rh and Rc. The fan blows, but the A/C unit is not on. It only blows out room temp air. I put back the jumper and tried, no luck. I connected the red, w/ jumper and connect to Rh, no luck. Could the initial removal of the jumper wire done something to the A/C unit? We tried turn off and on the main circuit. Please help!
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
    The jumper may have caused the problem. Normally you would connect the red wire to "RH with jumper to RC", connect the yellow wire to "Y", connect the green wire to "G" connect the white wire to "W"
    Normally with only four wires you need the jumper wire, If they did not have this jumper the only way it could work is if you had two transformers in the system (one in furnace and one in the A/C) in this case one wire would go to "RH" and the red wire to "RC" with the white wire to "W", the yellow to "Y" and possibly the blue to "RH" the only way for you to tell is open up the furnace and look at the wires from the thermostat and see what connects here and then go to the a/c and see what wires go here. If nothing runs it is posible you burnt out the transformer in the a/c when you put jumper in, if some one did this they would have had to put a jumper between the yellow wire and the fan relay in the furnace.
    Lets hope this is not the case . Start at the furnace and see what goes where and let us know. Good luck, Mike
    Toyo Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 05:15 AM
    Are you aure it wasn't the time out feature? I know with my Honeywell the time delay is almost 10 minutes. Its protection for the compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

How to reverse Harbor Breeze fan when remote unit not installed [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Harbor Breeze Exceter 52" fan. The remote unit was not wired in and I would like to know if the fan can be reversed or how does it need to be wired on the wall to facilitate this function to work.

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Whirlpool Window Unit stopped working. [ 3 Answers ]

My 1991 Whirlpool Electric 17,800 BTU Window Air Conditioner has stopped working. It was running fine and cooling very well but when I went to turn it on last night, it didn't make a sound. We have checked the breakers and fuses but I am wondering if there is a fuse in the unit itself. I do not...

Air/Heating Unit (Electric) Suddenly stopped working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello In July we replaced the motor and the relay switch on the unit outside the house. The unit had been running fine. Sept. 14 it was a little muggy in the house so I turned the thermostat down to 72 to kick the air on. Nothing happened all I heard was a "click" which would normally start the...

View more questions Search