Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boonoonoonoos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
    MUST I educate my child in this country?
    I have a disabled son. The social security admin. Has deemed him disabled. Must I educate him according to the laws? Must I home school him? I would rather continue to let him heal and deal with him getting a GED later when he's 16. He's twelve now.
    lalo1988 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 01:19 AM
    Wow he's only 12!! I say home school him he could still get a regular high school deploma like that. Why seddle for a GED u should help your Son get the best education he possibly can even if u have to be the one to give it to him it!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 05:56 AM
    You did not say at least in this post what his disability is. Schools must make accomidations and even set down with you and draw up a education plan for your child. So if you wish to send him to public school, they must make proper plans to allow your child to attend if at all possible.

As for as must educate yes you must, if you do not, your child could be taken away from you and put in foster care.

You may home school if that is considered best in your vew point.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Hello boon:

Send him to school. You be the nurse.

excon
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 06:17 AM
    I have a disabled son as well, although his disability is developmental, not physical.

Your local public school is mandated to accommodate his disability. They will put together an IEP or Individual Education Plan that will work with your son in the areas he needs.

If he sits out for 4 years then attempts the GED, he will have a really tough time. That will be a quarter of his life where he is not getting the education he will need to move forward.

I don't know whether he is recovering from illness or injury, but perhaps school work will be a welcome distraction. Home school is also an option. You don't need a degree - there are several ciriculums you can purchase via the internet.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 21, 2007, 06:53 AM
    I sympathize. My mother is raising a little boy with mental and physical disabilities. When he came into her care, he hadn't been to school, and she worked with the school board to accommodate him. Her church also helped her out in finding suitable care for him while she was working. She now shares joint custody with the child's biological father (the mother lost custody) and the child is thriving surprisingly well in the public school system. Nobody ever expected him to walk or to even speak well. At age 5, he could not walk and could barely speak. He was the size of a skinny 3 year old. Now at age 7, almost 8, he can walk and speak, and read, and has friends. He is in special classes with other children who have disabilities, but is thriving well.

The social interactions of public school, and frankly being forced to be somewhat independent, is good for all kids, including kids with disabilities.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA. Is there any IRS rule...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

Deeds educate me please [ 2 Answers ]

What exactly is a Warranty Deed? How is it different from a Quit deed or other deeds?

How to educate myself [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am divorced and recently started dating again. My new man is very open talking about sex but after 22 years years of a tame if not boring sex life I find it very difficult. I find I get embaressed easily although I would love to be able to talk dirty to him and tell him exactly what I want....

View more questions Search