Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BabyGirl05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Potty Train Adult Dog and Breaking from Biting
    We just adopted a beagle from the pound,she is aprox. 5yrs old I took her to the vet and other than needing a dental cleening she got a clean bill of health... The problem I am having is her sneeking around to soil in the house and I swear she soils more than she takes in... She has a crate ,she also soils my bed EWWW! Another issue I would like help with is she bites... it starts as a nibble and gets harder normally she is just playing and gets too excited,but I have children and it is becoming a problem. That with her constant sniffing of the company is starting to scare everyone off
    Any helpful hints would be appreciated
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2005, 07:51 PM
    Thank you for adopting this dog. It is going to be tough, but I will do all I can to help you. Nobody has any magic fixes that work quickly.

For the soiling, you must have her in your sight, or in her crate all the time. Some people even suggest leashing her to you. When she does go out, go out with her and praise her if she eliminates outside.

Biting is very natural in younger dogs. I am a little surprised at a 5 year old. Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about
    Biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting
    Another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are
    Alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months
    They are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking
    Moment biting or chewing. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another
    Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find
    One that won't yelp and jerk their hand away, or growl "Bad dog." and clamp
    Their mouth shut. Then offer a chew toy. They keep trying despite hundreds
    Of corrections. Another good technique is to quit playing and go away. Be
    Sure to praise them when they are playing nice and not biting.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens.
    Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can
    Chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords.
    Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.

Same story on the sniffing. Correct her for it and praise her when she doesn't. She is going to be some work at first, but Beagles are cute little devils. They are small enough to live longer than the bigger dogs. You can expect many good years from her after the initial work of correcting her bad habits. A good obedience training program will help too. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.
    melissak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 10:16 PM
    Hi,

I also have a similar problem with my dog soiling in the house. Why is it that sometimes my dog will bark at the door to go out, and sometimes she doesn't?

We will try what you have just suggested - thank you for your help
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2005, 11:38 AM
    Hi BabyGirl,

Labman said: "Beagles are cute little devils." I'd say that's an understatement!

I'd love to have one, but I've got 4(!) dogs right now and it's one over the legal limit here or I'd be tempted to get one of them, too. (As well as a lab or two and a weimeriener (sp?).

I so admire people who take in dogs that others have rejected or are otherwise homeless.

Congratulations on your new pup and happy tails to you!

Becky

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I train my dog to walk on a leash? [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

Help potty training a adult cat [ 3 Answers ]

Recently a cat wandered into our house. We tried to find its owners but to no avail. Now the cat lives with us but it will only "partially" use the litter box. In other words it will do number 1 in the litter box but wont do number 2 in it. Is there any way I can at least try to get the cat to go...

Train travel [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a train that I can use from australia going to new zealand.

Train services [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get information on train services between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

View more questions Search