Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bnowack Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
    CD drive not detected
    Explorer does not recognize optical drives. I have a Win 98 SE system.

I am unable to access d: or e: drive (Optical drives). Both have been installed for some time, both have LED indicator lighting that appears normal and both loading trays open and shut normally. No recent hardware or software changes.

System will still recognize A drive (floppy) C drive (HD) and USB thumb drive if installed.

Noticed that device manager only list floppy, HD and USB thumb drive.

Noticed that device manager for the Hard Disc controller lists the yellow exclamation point caution ! for Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

Have tried rebooting and run regclean.

No other symptoms noticed.

Is this a hardware problem or a software glitch?

Can anyone provide troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Bern

Follow-up (for future reference, in case this happens to someone else):

It turned out that one of the drives had failed. Found it by disconnecting ribbon cable - one device at a time. After disconnecting the failed drive, the other showed up normally on reboot. What is interesting is that one failed drive affected both drives making it look like either a software problem or common hardware problem (ribbon cable or mother board).

I was able to troubleshoot this after reading archived responses to similar problems. Hope this info helps someone.

Thanks to all
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Did you recently uninstall any programs?

Aug 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Yes,

Some software associated with an I-Pod Shuffle and I-Tunes.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Sometimes the uninstallation of software that has hooks into the cd-burning features messes up the 'upper/lower' limits in the Registry.

Try this fix:
    Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer

Aug 20, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Sometimes the uninstallation of software that has hooks into the cd-burning features messes up the 'upper/lower' limits in the Registry.

Try this fix:
    Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer

The link you mention specifies Windows XP. I've got Win 98 SE installed. Also, I answered your first question too quickly; the uninstall of the I-Pod/I-Tunes software was on a different computer. As far as I can recall, no recent software changes.
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Here's the very popular fix for Win98: http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

It's from this site if you want to browse it for more fixes in the future: Registry Patches

Aug 20, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Here's the very popular fix for Win98: http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

It's from this site if you want to browse it for more fixes in the future: Registry Patches

I'll check it out. Thank you.

Bern

Aug 21, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Follow-up (for future reference, in case this happens to someone else):

It turned out that one of the drives had failed. Found it by disconnecting ribbon cable - one device at a time. After disconnecting the failed drive, the other showed up normally on reboot. What is interesting is that one failed drive affected both drives making it look like either a software problem or common hardware problem (ribbon cable or mother board).

I was able to troubleshoot this after reading archived responses to similar problems. Hope this info helps someone.

Thanks to all
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 07:19 AM
    I'm glad you figured it out. I was sure of your comfort zone with opening up the case and checking cables so I was trying the software route first. Kudos to you.:)

Aug 21, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I'm glad you figured it out. I was sure of your comfort zone with opening up the case and checking cables so I was trying the software route first. Kudos to you.:)

Thank you for your help. It's encouraging that these forums exist and that there are people such as yourself who are willing to share their expertise to help someone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LH surge detected [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 25 and my husband and I have been Trying to conceive for 2 years. I took an ovulation test on 7/1/07 and it detected my LH surge so ovulation would occur within the next 24-36 hrs. BUT I haven't had any detection of cervical mucus, I was wondering if I could get pregnant without detecting any...

Buffer Overrun detected [ 2 Answers ]

Anytime I try to access the internet with the internet explorer Microsoft Visual C ++ Run Time Library; Buffer overrun detected - Program C:\program files\internetexplorer\iexplore.exe pops up stopping me from getting internet access. How can I fix this problem. Thanks

McAfee Items detected? [ 1 Answers ]

What are "items detected" in McAfee's security center

Buffer Overrun Detected [ 4 Answers ]

I have just reinstalled Win.XP Pro.And I want to reinstall Photoshop Album Starter Edition,but when I try to open it I get :-Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Buffer overrun detected! Program:... n\3.0\Apps\Photoshop Album Starter Edition.exe A buffer overrun has been detected which has...

View more questions Search