Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnildnum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Impresivly cracked soil stack
    Howdy,

Just returned home after being away for a while and noticed a long crack, approx 1/4 inch wide, through a big chunk of my 4 inch cast iron soil stack vent.

The crack begins about six inches below the floor (basment access) and goes up several inches into the wall between my bathroom sink and kitchen sink. I have to cut a hole through the dry wall to fully eval.

I've done some plumbing but have never worked on anything 4 inch diam or so difficult to access before.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I don't have an answer for your question. But, I care that your question gets answered. By my posting a reply now, your question will get moved more towards the top of the list of questions needing answers. Hopefully, someone will come along soon with the expertise to answer your question.
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Aug 20, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Well, obviously it's hard to give very specific advice in a situation like this, but...

The best thing I can say is don't be scared to tackle it yourself. I had a similar thing (cracked cast iron pipe INSIDE the basement wall, outside grade had settled and snapped the pipe in two. It was that way for years before I bought the house) not too long ago, and it worked out fine.

I found that the cast iron was actually pretty easy to work with. Just get a diamond blade to cut it, and the no-hub bands are a snap to work with.

Get a good book, follow the hints (particularly about supporting the stack when you cut it) and go for it. It's really not that hard. You'll have to go to a 'real' plumbing supply for cast iron pipe and fittings.

You can also convert to PVC, which is what the book and a lot of folks will tell you. I didn't do that because I wanted the strength of cast iron where it went through the foundation wall, and code would have required a larger sleeve for PVC. Note that cast iron is MUCH quieter than PVC too, if that matters to you.

Anyhow, if you've opened the wall up already, you're more than halfway done. Get some clamps and brace the heck out of the stack, cut it and slip in a new section.

Good luck!

~aaron

Ps: search posts by me to see some of the cast-iron hijinks... some of the photos may help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vertical/45 Degree Soil Stack Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed that our CI soil stack (in the basement) has corrosion and wet spots on it. The stack (from the basement ceiling down) extends about 6 feet then 45s into a CI pipe that continues through the basement floor concrete. My questions are: Is it better to replace the entire accessible...

Cracked soil [ 1 Answers ]

Our soil in the last 2 summers in our garden cracks even if we add plenty of sheep manure top soil and water-can you help?

Rust on soil stack [ 1 Answers ]

I've been seeing rust nodules on our soil stacks... do the these cast iron stacks need replacing?

Cast iron soil stack to pvc [ 15 Answers ]

the plumbing in our house is from 1936. We noticed a large stain in the ceiling, tore it out to reveal the cast iron soil stack (runs from the upstairs bathroom turns a corner then runs straight to the basement) and found the leak was around (very bad leak) the lead joint. My husband finally got...

Crack in soil stack [ 4 Answers ]

The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had...

View more questions Search