Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdf18 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Bringing a stray cat into a house with another cat?
    Okay, I have a male cat, who is about 14 years old, and he is still very active. Recently we've been having a stray cat who looks to be at most a year and a half old come around our house. It is a girl, and she hangs around our house all day. It is a gorgeous cat, and we've been considering taking her to the vet, getting her spayed, and cleaned up from her life outdoors, then bring her in to the house as a new addition to the family. Will this have any negative effects on our current 14 year old male cat? We would love to bring her in, and the only thing stopping us is the possible negative effects it could have on our current house cat. Any advice would help! Thanks a lot.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 01:33 AM
    The following is my advice based upon having cats all of my life and also taking in a stray.

You would be doing the correct thing by taking the stray to the vet and having all of the medical things done that need to be done as well as tested for any possible diseases. Just wanted to add that last part about diseases, because it is very important.

Your 14-year-old cat will probably enjoy the company. There will be some time for them to stake out their individual territory at first. Cats will do that. But, in the end, I am sure that everything will be okay, as long as both cats are healthy, physically and mentally.

I have a 15-year-old male who lost his mother a few years ago. I know that he is lonely because of the way that he has acted when I have been away. I have been thinking of bringing a younger cat into my home for him to have some companionship. With my cat, I don't think that there will be any problem. But, what happens in your home, greatly depends on the personality of your 14-year-old cat.

I took in a much older cat many years ago. I already had two of my own. There were some problems. I think that the problems could have been overcome with time. The cat that I brought in escaped through an open window in the basement and was never seen again. I think that the younger the cat is that you bring in, the better. Because the younger one will learn things from the older one.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 02:31 AM
    Very sound advise Clough...
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Very sound advise Clough...
    Thank you for your comment, firmbeliever. I am by no means an expert in this field. But, I have had cats all of my life. And, I have had experience taking in a stray as well as a cat that needed a new home.

There may be someone who might come along who could offer better advice than I have...

Now, where is my cat when I need him.. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 03:05 AM
    Hehe
    Clough I know...
    Experience with cats is one of the best things in life.
    I understand your answer as I too have had cats (have lost count how many), but by no means am I an expert! ;)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Clough is right a lot depends on the cats. I think a boy girl combo should be fiine. My very aggressive neutered male indoor/outdoor cat was around 7 when I brought a female kitty around him. It took about 2 months for him to not want to eat her. Mow there are 4 cats and 2 dogs in our home. Yes he was an only oet for 7 years. I would lbring her in and give her a room to her self and maybe put her in a cage a hor at a time so they could be in the same room together. Also the room she stays in leave the door slightly cracked so they can sniff and interact through it. A screen door would be perfect for this if you have one. Either way you go I would take it slow so neither one gets hurt. But with a little patience it should work out.

Aug 20, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Thank you! I really appreciate everyone's opinions and advice. I definitely will be taking it in to the vet to get it checked out and cleaned up. And I think we're going to bring her in. If worst comes to worst and she does not get along with our current cat after time... then we can find her a new home. Now... any ideas for a name :)
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:50 AM
    What does she look like? Any specific markings? What color or colors? My neutered male cat is named "Boots." That is because all of his paws are white.

Aug 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    What does she look like? Any specific markings? What color or colors? My neutered male cat is named "Boots." That is because all of his paws are white.
    Well, she's solid gray with very bright yellowish brown eyes. Her fur is not short, but not long. Gorgeous cat.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
    How aboout Princess,Georgeous,Countess(we had one countess, but ended up calling her tessy for short).
    If she looks sleek, then lady sounds nice ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:56 PM
    I like the answer above! If solid gray, how about Shadow?
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    How aboout Princess,Georgeous,Countess(we had one countess, but ended up calling her tessy for short).
    If she looks sleek, then lady sounds nice ;)
    I'm just having some fun here. And, I like all of the name possibilities that you have given. But, I was just thinking what it would be like if I had a cat named Gorgeous or Lady who I would let outside, and what the neighbors might think, since I am a man, when I would be calling her to come in. "Hey, Gorgeous!" "Here Gorgeous!" "Come on, Lady!" "That's a good Lady!" "You know you're my kitty, Lady!"

:D :p
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdf18
    Well, she's solid gray with very bright yellowish brown eyes. Her fur is not short, but not long. Gorgeous cat.
    Sometimes people name their cats because they act a certain way a lot. Is there a way that she acts that sets her apart from other cats that might be helpful in deciding a name for her?

Just another idea here, is that if you have children or other close relatives or friends who might enjoy taking part in the activity, you might have them write down on small pieces of paper what they think she should be called and then pull one of the names out of a box for a winner. I have done this before and it was fun!
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I'm just having some fun here. And, I like all of the name possibilities that you have given. But, I was just thinking what it would be like if I had a cat named Gorgeous or Lady who I would let outside, and what the neighbors might think, since I am a man, when I would be calling her to come in. "Hey, Gorgeous!" "Here Gorgeous!" "Come on, Lady!" "That's a good Lady!" "You know you're my kitty, Lady!"

:D :p
    :D you are right!

I had one called what-to-do and squinty too
    There was a chic and chip too.

What to do is the one who never knows what he wants... so we called him that and squinty was a bit squint and then there was browny too.

And I meant FUN in my comment!! ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:49 AM
    When I was growing up, one of the cats that we had was called P.F. The "P" meant Purr, because he purred so much. And, the "F" meant Flash, because he was so fast in his actions.

Aug 21, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Hmm, I like those a lot. We've been considering Shadow. Thanks for the suggestions! I do have another question though...

Aug 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I think we are going to take her in. But we need to make a few calls to the vet before we can... so right now she's outside still. So, to prepare I bought a flea/tic collar and put it on her today, and she was very scared and bolted out of the backyard and I saw her again today and she seemed very irritated. Was this a bad choice to put the flea collar on while she's still outside? I checked to see if it was too tight and I don't think it is. Her food and water is still in our backyard so I'm hoping she'll keep coming back.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdf18
    I think we are going to take her in. But we need to make a few calls to the vet before we can...so right now shes outside still. So, to prepare I bought a flea/tic collar and put it on her today, and she was very scared and bolted out of the backyard and I saw her again today and she seemed very irritated. Was this a bad choice to put the flea collar on while she's still outside? I checked to see if it was too tight and I don't think it is. Her food and water is still in our backyard so I'm hoping she'll keep coming back.
    I see nothing wrong with putting a flea collar on her while she is outside.

If she knows there is food, love and caring by you, then she will return. It's just going to take her and you some time to get used to a routine, i.e, what you do and what you expect. She will learn.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Cdf, just make sure that the collar is loose enough to come off in case it gets hung on a tree branch or a fence. If not it could choke her to death or if she is trying to escape another animal this may help her to get caught.

Aug 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
    She's been acting very strange lately and seems irritable and hasn't been eating the food we've been putting out. I took the collar off today due to the weird behavior.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

My pregnant stray cat [ 3 Answers ]

I found a stray cat that ended up being pregnant. She's getting pretty big now but I still don't know how many kittens she's going to have. Is there any way that I can tell how many she's going to have?

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

The stray cat under my house won't leave [ 5 Answers ]

I had some work done to my house recently and one of the contracters left the side entrance that goes underneath my house open. I now have a cat under there that refuses to leave. We re-opened the side entrance and even the small vent under the house to give him/her the opportunity to get out but...

Stray cat under my house... [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday mum was washing the dishes and outside the window she saw a cat come up to the door and have a sniff around. She was confused because it look exactly like our male tabby (who is desexed) except it had a red collar on. Then it ran back under the house. Who knows how long its been there....

View more questions Search