Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
    The Fountain--opinions
    Anyone here see this hyped up smörgåsbord of a film? If you haven't don't. It's a sequence of confusing short scenes which flip back and forth from future to past to present and back again so fast your head won't spin--it will literally unscrew itself from your shoulders.

No sooner are you getting interested in a scene of the past when you are suddenly wrenched back to either future or present. Actually, with no previous explanation via the trailer I wouldn't have known what was going on even after seeing it. The man in the supposed future is depicted sitting by a tree and having hallucinations. I suppose I should immediately understand he is a future version of the man who ate from the tree of life. However, that can't be because the tree of life doesn't provide that man with eternal life. So neither the doctor nor his future version can be that man. In short, if you are confused then good because the film seems designed to confuse you.

Also, if you are expecting a fountain somewhere along the way, don't. There isn't one. There is a tree of life though. Which in view of its quickly depicted horrifying effects doesn't deserve the name. At least not in the biblical Genesis sense to which it is linked. The theme? I would say the theme is SUFFERING and the inevitability of Death and the frenetic but futile efforts of a doctor to stop it from claiming his wife. Now that should liven up any weekend.

Actually, handled differently the subject matter is amenable to good drama.
    But the technique is a bit too abstract and depressing for my taste.

Just MHO

BTW
    Just when you are hoping the film will finally take of in the direction you hope the credits appear on the screen and its over. Also, if someone here understood this film better than I did an explanation would be apreciated.
    Purukivel Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 08:17 AM
    I saw this at a special preview at Fantastic Fest before its general release. I was highly excited to be the last person to jam into the auditorium. By the end, I was highly SORRY that I had succeeded. It's a nonsensical, disjointed, and rambling exercise in self-indulgence and hippie-dippie philosophizing that delivers the important message that "love is all there is" and "if you love someone, you have to let them go". Bah.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I remember the trailer being awesome... then the movie reviews came in.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Purukivel
    I saw this at a special preview at Fantastic Fest before its general release. I was highly excited to be the last person to jam into the auditorium. By the end, I was highly SORRY that I had succeeded. It's a nonsensical, disjointed, and rambling exercise in self-indulgence and hippie-dippie philosophizing that delivers the important message that "love is all there is" and "if you love someone, you have to let them go". Bah.
    OK! Thanks for the further clarification.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Trips with newly spliced fountain pump [ 5 Answers ]

I am nearly exasperated trying to splice in a new fountain pump. Here's what I did: 1. bought a new pump (190gpm), cut the cord near its plug 2. threaded the power cord through the bottom of the fountain "tub" 3. spliced it to the power cord which runs under the rock patio to the gfci outlet....

I need as many opinions as possible! [ 7 Answers ]

I had posted a message on this site before because me & my boyfriend had fooled around & I thought there was a great possibility that I was pregnant (you may want to go back and read the whole story). I waited for about 2 weeks after my missed period and pregnancy symptoms started, and then finally...

Need opinions! [ 5 Answers ]

Actually I don't know any of you , but stumbled across this site when I was reasearching having multiple cats. I am 21 years old and I live in a two bedroom apartement with my boyfriend . I grew up with animals , my father worked for the humane society and always felt the need to help as many as I...

Need opinions [ 2 Answers ]

My nephew has an outstanding warrant for drug use. He did not appear in court. His dad signed a 5000.00 surety bond and he did not appear. Since the first incident my sisters home has been raided once again. They did not find my nephew there. They did arrest his dad (my brotherinlaw) for stolen...

View more questions Search