Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 02:57 PM
    How to file a claim with out a lawyer
    We bought a home in 2004. We were told it would take 6-8 months to build, but in the contract it says within reasonable time which was 24 months. So we figured OK about 8 -12 months 15 months tops. Well we checked every weekend for 12months and not even 1 brick was laid. At the time homes were selling 2-3 pr hour. (south Florida) Then the bubble burst. Now you can't give your house away. Any way we decided after 27months we had enough waiting for the house plus we can't sell ours, so we pulled out of the contract. The builder says we are in breech of contract and won't give us our 17,000 back. So we got a lawyer and he said no problem its black and white 24 months no house they breeched the contract.. . Well 2,000 later after his fees we still have nothing. And it will cost more going back and forth trying to get it. So we want to represent ourselves, we have nothing to lose. BUT how do we do that?

Thanks,
    Rocky
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 03:34 PM
    2000 is farily cheap at this point, expect 5000 or more if you actually have to go to court. Since this is over I believe your small claims, you will have to file in court. Has your attorney file a law suit yet? He needs to file a suit and get into court.

Aug 19, 2007, 05:36 PM
    That's just it I don't want to pay $7000 to get back my $17000. So I want to go to court WITHOUT an attorny. That's my question. Do I need one? And how do I go with out one?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2007, 06:18 PM
    What has your attorney told you about the delay?

Aug 19, 2007, 07:02 PM
    The Attorney says we can go back and forth and each time it will cost money. I'm out 17000 and 2000 to try to get it back. I don't want an attorney anymore. I just want to go to court and represent myself. The contract says 24 months it wasn't ready at 27 months. Why do I even need an attorney?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 20, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Because the contractor is going to have attorneys that will nickel and dime you with delaying tactic after delaying tactic. Yes this might seem cut and dried but unfortunately the law isn't alsways cut and dried. Why does the contractor claim you breached? If this was small claims court, then it would be easy, but its not.

You can go to the court clerk and ask what forms you have to submit, but you are behind the 8 ball here. One thing I would make sure of is to read your contract. If its fairly standard, you can sue the contractor for the amount PLUS legal fees. In other words, when you win the contractor pays the $17K plus your attorney fees.

Of course there is another factor here. Even when you do win, you will still have to collect. The contractor is not likely to just hand over a check when the judge rules in your favor.

Another thing just occurred to me. Normally, a deposit in this case is placed into an escrow account where the contractor can't touch it until you close. You may be able to petititon the escrow holder to return the deposit. That all should be listed in your contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawyer fees for social security claim [ 6 Answers ]

In a letter I have from my sons lawyer it states that he is entitled to the lesser of 25 percent of past due benefits or the dollar amount established pursuant to section 206of the social security act which is 5,300 as a fee. I thought the lawyer said a small fee if he wins,do you think this is...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

What location do I go to file a claim? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Scottsdale,AZ. And need to find out where I go to file a small claims?? ::

How to file a counter claim in an eviction law suit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a counter claim against my landlord, when I am being sued for non-payment of rent, when he actually owes me money. I do not have an attorney and I can not afford one, so I will be representing myself in court.

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

View more questions Search