Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nelar9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Remove & replace an existing vinyl liner
    A woodchuck burrowed beneath my 16x32 rectangular pool with a vinyl liner. The ground below the pool floor has suck where the burrows are and I now have pot hole like ruts about 6-10 inches deep on the pool floor. Can I remove the water and pull back the liner, repair the ground and get the liner back in place, or do I need to get a new liner? Someone told me that once a liner is removed it will never go back in place the way it was.

The Pool Guy Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Aug 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
    [QUOTE=nelar9]A woodchuck burrowed beneath my 16x32 rectangular pool with a vinyl liner. The ground below the pool floor has suck where the burrows are and I now have pot hole like ruts about 6-10 inches deep on the pool floor. Can I remove the water and pull back the liner, repair the ground and get the liner back in place, or do I need to get a new liner? Someone told me that once a liner is removed it will never go back in place the way it was.

Thanks:) If the pool is not losing any water, your plan just might work... but the places where the liner sunk 6--10 " may not flatten back out smooth. You will probably have wrinkles in these areas. If you empty a pool of water, within 3--4 days the liner will shrink. Good Luck and let me know how thing's went :)
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Whoa there cowboy, hold on just one second.

First of all, how old is your liner? If it is more than one or two seasons old your plan is suicide. There is NO CHANCE this can be done successfully. Worse than that you may very well collapse your pool slopes if the situation is just right. Since you have earth mining creatures undermining your pool base, the chances of a devastating collapse are higher.

Are you sure it's a woodchuck? That's an awfully deep route for a little animal since most 16x32 ingrounds will be as deep as 8 or more feet. Or perhaps your problem is in the shallow end, in which case your chances of repairing this become slightly better.

Puncture holes in your liner can also cause symptoms similar to what you have described so check your vacuum head and brush for wires or sharp protrusions that might have caused this. Also, you might want to interrogate your children to see if they were riding their bikes in the pool again. =)

If you are sure its animal damage, and the problem exists only in the shallow end, and also if your liner is very new, and you do not mind wrinkles in your liner after you put it back, them MAYBE you should do this repair yourself, but be prepared to need a pro to come in a replace your liner if the repair goes south on you.

It never ceases to amaze me how far a home owner will go to repair their own pool problems. It's not a bad thing to show guts and determination when faced with a big problem, but it is also important to know when a pro is needed. Otherwise, we just end up like the maytag repairmen.

I hope this information is helpful

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools & Artificial Rock
    Vancouver, BC
    604-421-8429
    1-888-267-0802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing marble floor tile with 1/4" cement board backer. There are severl layers of vinyl flooring. There are some pieces that do not want to come up. I have even tried burning with mapp gas torch. Can I leave it even though it is the thickness of the vinyl or do I have to buy a bigger...

Installing entry door with existing vinyl siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all - let me preface my problem below by saying I’m a fairly new homeowner, and don’t really know much about vinyl siding. I suspect I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not really sure where I went astray: I recently had to remove and then re-install a pre-hung entry door leading to our 2nd...

Remove existing shower stall drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have an acrylic shower stall in the basement. The drain seems to be leaking and I want to remove it. I've cleaned all the sealant around the floor collar but it won't budge. Is is glued in? Does it twist off (threaded)? What tool do I need to get a grip on it? Help. -Barry

View more questions Search